Router Forums banner

Rebuilt bird feeder

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  honesttjohn 
#1 ·
Some 20 plus years ago I bought the bird feeder shown in the first photo at a major garden exhibition. It held up very well over the years but was finally showing its age. So I took the cover off to see about repairing it and decided to make a new one on the same design. An interesting project that should last a few more years as well.

#2 ·
Bird feeder rebuild with photos

Sorry missed the photos in the first pass

Attachments

#4 ·
Nice. Bet the squirrels love it.

#7 ·
That was my first thought Theo, I could not keep them out of the one I built. They would launch from our planter and soar 8 feet to slam into the feeder. Some times they stayed on and others they fell off, just to get up and try again. Once in the feeder, they would sit and throw most of it to the ground, where the other squirrels would sit and feast on it.

David

#8 ·
Nicely done, Jon...lots of detail that you dealt with very well...it will likely last longer than the original...

Reactions: JFPNCM
#9 ·
The rebuild was nicely done. I'm amazed a wooden feeder lasted that long. Here in Louisiana, the wooden ones seem to be good for a few years at best. Of course, between the squirrels and the raccoons, they take a beating.

#16 ·
My next door neighbor has a bird feeder here in South Mississippi and the squirrels are quite prolific . They put a trap out (humane type) and so far, they have caught and relocated over 40 squirrels and the saga continues! It is fun to watch the challenge. They wanted to make sure that the same squirrels weren't coming back so he spray painted a spot on the tail orange before releasing them, so far no orange tails are back, but I bet some other folks are wondering what's up with the orange tailed squirrels!

#17 ·
The squirrels were doing so much damage here that I bought a pellet gun and began to depopulate the numbers. And got rat traps for the chipmonks. No mercy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.