Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm Craig, I was recently disabled due to an illness and now confined to a wheelchair. I'm looking for any projects that can be done from a sitting position. I am no longer able to work due to my disability and I need something to do with all the spare time I now have. Any sugestions? I worked as a carpenter for 18 years before going into construction supply business. I planned on doing a lot of woodworking when I retired but now I need to figure out how in a chair.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Sorry to hear about Your misfortune I will send some prayers for You... I would build some short shelfs so I could work on them and prolly due some woodscrolling projects or maybe also a lathe and do some bowls, pens, birdhouses and such.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Greetings Warren and welcome to the router forum. Thank you for joining us, and remember to have fun, build well and above all be safe.

Check our our forum Special Needs Woodworking - Router Forums there are several here that work from a wheelchair. There are many not disabled but will give you more help than you can handle, this is a great forum with a great bunch of guys and gals always willing to support anyone at their point of need.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In addition to the suggestions by xplorx4 papawd there are others in your situation. There is also a blogger lumberjocks.com that talks about woodworking in wheelchair. I hope you find something inspiring to work on.

·
Official Greeter
20,113 Posts
G’day Craig

Welcome to the router forum.

Thank you for joining us

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Hi Craig, Welcome to the RouterForums. I see that between the time I first found your intro post and the time I got back to it several other members have found you.
I am one of the forum members who is confined to a wheelchair. I had long had a personal goal to become a good enough woodworker to justify owning a router. I suffered a spinal cord injury in an icy road traffic accident then starting about 7 months later began a progressive loss of leg function and loss of sensation from abdomen down. About a year after that, on the day that I had about an hour earlier became aware that I had lost enough of my ability to walk that I was going to need a wheelchair, I turned on my local PBS station and found the Router Workshop. It took a very short time for me to realize that I could use a router even then, although I did have much to learn. Some time went by and I was completely confined to a wheelchair by the time I had a router that I considered safe to use.
You will want a router table you can sit under, much as you would sit under a desk, so the height should be lower. For me the height varies between about 27 inches (68 cm) to about 30 inches (76 cm). It easier for me if the router is in the left-right center instead of to one side. Given that you are already a carpenter, you already have substantially better woodworking skills than I had when I started using the router.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Craig,

I don't know what aspects of WW intrigue you most but I'd like to make sure you're aware of a link to General's "serious duty iron" designed specifically for special access needs. Included in their list are 3hp or 5hp cabinet saws, 16" drill presses, lathes, bandsaws, etc. Here's a link http://www.routerforums.com/special...tools-designed-special-needs-woodworkers.html

As far as router tables, http://www.routerforums.com/table-mounted-routing/17212-wanted-pictures-your-table.html will show you many tables people here have built that may give you some ideas on features you'd like to incorporate in your own. :D

Jim

·
Registered
13 Posts
I understand your need too!

I was confined to a chair for about 3 years, during that time I had a number of operations and am able to walk (kinda) and within the next year or two I'll be back in a chair for good. So with that being said... I know your need.

I was a woodworker of sorts prior to my 1st time in the chair so I had big plans that I had to change, if I could do it you should have no trouble. Just pick one tool / item at a time and it will work out. I started handrouting of detail / sign work. My work was so bad I'm sure I kept 3 of my friends in fireplace wood all winter! I have learned to do work that I get paid for! I now have a Sign business with one of my sons.

If you have any desire to do this type of work just let me know as I have many ideas that can help you save a lot of time and firewood!

I now am planning on my next move back into the chair, I at least have the time to get things set up prior to having to sit again.

As a vet of 32 years I was able to find a number of other vets that are in chairs and most of them can help you and a number of the "helpers" were not vets that wanted to jump in (I almost had too much help, ha,ha). There are maany folks here aand out there that will give you a hand, but you have to ask, I haaven't found a mind reader yet (except my wife).

We are here for you... just ask,
(peg_legs)
Mike

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Hey Craig..welcome to the community...

"Woodworker's Journal" Feb 2011 issue has a great article in its shop talk section as it relates to access issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.