Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Am gonna put 1/8" thick plexi glass on each side of this bank in a recess. I probably should have jigged this up and routed the recess first then cut out the shape but I didn't. Any suggestions on how to do it now? Thanks! The oval is 4 3/4 " wide so not very big.

Pig issue.jpg

·
Registered
Theo
6,913 Posts
The rabbeting bit would need a smooth and finished internal wall to locate on. The pic looks like the inside is rough.
So the simplest way might be to make a template to lay over the top and use a normal flush trim bit.
Yeah, I never use plexiglass on any of my banks, but if I did, that is probably exactly how I would do it.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Another thing to consider is that the coins will scratch the plexi, so after a very short while it will look a lot older than it is.
I would use a different wood panel to make it look pretty, after all, wheres the fun in a piggy bank unless you have to pick it up and shake it?
I agree Bob you got to shake that thing. >:) :grin:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I never use plexiglass on any of my banks, but if I did, that is probably exactly how I would do it.
I was just going to use plexiglass cause that was what I had, what do you use. I am totally up for suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another thing to consider is that the coins will scratch the plexi, so after a very short while it will look a lot older than it is.
I would use a different wood panel to make it look pretty, after all, wheres the fun in a piggy bank unless you have to pick it up and shake it?
So would you just cap off the sides with a contrasting wood no window?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The rabbeting bit would need a smooth and finished internal wall to locate on. The pic looks like the inside is rough.
So the simplest way might be to make a template to lay over the top and use a normal flush trim bit.
For some reason the pic gives it the appearance of being rough but it is actually as smooth on the inside as it is on the outside.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I would use Lexan instead of Plexiglass. Lexan won't scratch as easily and is not brittle like Plexiglass. Thick pieces of Lexan are used as bullet proof windows, but the same material comes in 1/8 and 1/16" thick sheets. It is available almost everywhere that Plexiglass is sold but you have to ask for it instead.

To make the recess, I would use a rabbeting bit with bearing of a size that would produce the desired width of recess to allow for the screws to hold the panel in place. Set the bit depth to match the thickness of the Lexan or Plexi of your choice and then rout the recess allowing the bearing on the bit to roll along the inside of the hole.

Charley

·
Registered
185 Posts
67flh,
What are you going to use to allow removal of the coins? I do a fair amount of banks and have not found anything that I think is good. I presently use plugs made for salt shakers, but they give out after a while so I started suppling 3 plugs with every bank I sell or give away. Remember these are kids toys, so the plugs are removed and inserted often.

BE WELL

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Polycarbonate (Lexan) is probably worse than acrylic (plexiglass) when it comes to scratch resistance.
I think they brand Lexan as being more scratch resistant, but they both suck .

To bad I guy couldn't work with actual glass . :fie:

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I have a non piggy shaped piggy bank that must now be my oldest possession. Exact date forgotten but its definitely more than 55 years.
Its made of chine in the shape of a wad of banknotes, held by a middle band and fanned out at the ends. I saved hundreds of pounds (UK£) in that thing. A slot in the top and no other opening, it was designed to be a one use break it open. But I couldnt bear to break it.

Even aged 10 (around) I learnt that my mums palette knife would slide in that slot and by careful tipping I could make the coins slide out down the blade one coin at a time.
Now THATS the way to save!

·
Registered
Theo
6,913 Posts
I was just going to use plexiglass cause that was what I had, what do you use. I am totally up for suggestions. Thanks!
Nothing wrong with using what you have. I just went a different way. My first banks were not pleasing to me, so started making figure banks - a panted figure, Wizard, dog, whatever, standing on a wooden box. Liked those, made them for awhile.

My present banks are all hollow, with a solid outside. Right now I'm concentrating on piggy banks (if it ain't a pig, it ain't a piggy bank), and monster truck banks. This is the link to my thread, still ongoing just now, but should give you an idea of how mine are made.
http://www.routerforums.com/project-plans-how/99538-lesson-learned.html

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Guys I just had an epiphany, what if OP put the side of the piggy bank on a piece of non stick plastic ,and poured that clear acrylic stuff I played with when I was a kid . That stuff is tough as nails when it cures .
I'm thinking use wood on the other side and just have that clear resin window on the other .
Just a thought

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
The one side is a cool idea. Do you mean the epoxy you mix and pour?

·
Registered
Theo
6,913 Posts
I have a non piggy shaped piggy bank that must now be my oldest possession. Exact date forgotten but its definitely more than 55 years.
Its made of chine in the shape of a wad of banknotes, held by a middle band and fanned out at the ends. I saved hundreds of pounds (UK£) in that thing. A slot in the top and no other opening, it was designed to be a one use break it open. But I couldnt bear to break it.

Even aged 10 (around) I learnt that my mums palette knife would slide in that slot and by careful tipping I could make the coins slide out down the blade one coin at a time.
Now THATS the way to save!
I've got a chalk (that's what they called 'em, don't know what the actual material is) frog bank, green exterior. Put the coins in a slot in the mouth. Never even thought about breaking it, used a table knife, just the way you did, to get out the coins. Got it as a kid, probably 8-9-10 yo, so that'd make it about 66 yo. Sometimes wonder what it would bring on eBay or some place, but actually don't know if I'd sell it or not.

·
Registered
Paul
1,859 Posts
Polycarbonate (Lexan) is probably worse than acrylic (plexiglass) when it comes to scratch resistance.
I agree, Andy. Lexan is softer, that's what makes it hard to break. When I was in the sign business, I often made shed or garage windows with scraps from work. The lexan ones will last for ages but will scratch easier. If you use plexi for a piggy bank though, you probably will have screw holes... in plexi, I would drill those over-size to allow for expansion and don't over tighten them. Lexan is perhaps a better choice with screw holes although it will look old sooner.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts