Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The sawyer at one of the sawmills where I buy wood cut a 5" thick slab from a reclaimed elm log for a table. I took several months of drying with a fan to bring down the moisture to around 9-10%. I sanded both sides carefully and treated both sides with several coats of natural hemp seed oil and my own natural bees wax and hemp seed oil paste. A local welder made steel legs, 2" wide, which we painted matte black. The table is 19" tall, and around 30' long and 30' wide. It weighs approximately 100 lbs. I am very proud of this beauty and want to share it with Forum readers. For more information, please contact me, Billy boy. Bill Major

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good find I like the rustic look.

·
Registered
782 Posts
we have cypress blanks that look just like that, we used to make clock's and table's also, nice stuff and look's good , i live in florida and still can get them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
G'day Bill love the top not so ken on the steel frame legs i'd personnally would have used logs for legs { but thats just me } fine job. whats the purpose of the paste?

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
That is a table that I also would be proud of, Bill.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Pete. Thanks for your response. I mix hemp seed oil with natural bees wax to make a paste that makes the wood water resistant. I use it with all my cheese boards and tables. Then it is possible to keep refreshing your board by applying more paste and buffing after a couple of hours. Thanks again, Billy Boy

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Bill that is a nice way for such a beautiful piece of wood to spend its final days and I hope that they are long. A very nice use of a piece of wood that would be chipped other than for you, Neville

1 - 9 of 9 Posts