Router Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21,707 Posts
Yup, I have one, but it's the 12 inch model. It has variable speed you set with a lever and will drill through something pretty thick. https://www.amazon.com/WEN-4214-12-...pID=41g0CK2hh-L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

It was about $220 on sale. Given tight budgets, I'd go for a minimum of 10 inches, but it doesn't have the lever to set speed, it requires rerouting belts and switching pullys. Not hard, but not easy either. The 10 inch model also has a much shorter post, which can affect how deep it is possible to drill.

The machine, however, has been excellent. The 12 inch is identical to the Jet DP, down to casting marks, but sells for much less. Search to see if you can find the lowest price. I got mine through WallMart so there was no delivery charge.

Have you found the woodworkers in your congregation yet? Look to the older guys.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
look for used...

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
I would say it depends on what you are going to do with it. Around 1997 or so, got me a HF drill press, for around $50. Don't know how many inches it is, but it was just what I needed then, and still using it. It answers all my drilling needs. Similar is now around $68. It drills, it is accurate enough, I don't need anything else for what I do.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Joe, I have a Delta bench top unit that I've had for years. It's ok, but mine doesn't drill at a perfect right angle front to back. It's off by about a half degree, and can not be corrected without re machining the mounting faces. Other than that, the only complaint I have is the drilling depth is only about 2-1/2", Which presents problems sometimes when I drill a pilot hole, then switch to a larger bit and have to re adjust the table to provide the clearance for a longer bit. When I re adjust the table, it also swivels and must re align the holes. If I were looking for a new one I would want one that has a quill drilling depth of around 6", and a table that tracks vertically (guided) up and down, and can be swiveled (horizontally) when un guided.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have a General 10'' floor model that I really like. I didn't know that some models have a lever to adjust the speed, I like that, however how often do we really change the speed ??? only occasionally when a large diameter hole or a very thick dense hardwood, Remember these were originally intended for metals and you frequently need to change speeds for that.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
If you can find a used Shopsmith in your area, that drill press is exceptionally capable. Plus, you'd get all it's other capabilities. I've seen them go for $100 on Craig's list.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup, I have one, but it's the 12 inch model. It has variable speed you set with a lever and will drill through something pretty thick. https://www.amazon.com/WEN-4214-12-...pID=41g0CK2hh-L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

It was about $220 on sale. Given tight budgets, I'd go for a minimum of 10 inches, but it doesn't have the lever to set speed, it requires rerouting belts and switching pullys. Not hard, but not easy either. The 10 inch model also has a much shorter post, which can affect how deep it is possible to drill.

The machine, however, has been excellent. The 12 inch is identical to the Jet DP, down to casting marks, but sells for much less. Search to see if you can find the lowest price. I got mine through WallMart so there was no delivery charge.

Have you found the woodworkers in your congregation yet? Look to the older guys.
Actually there’s two. Anytime I ask them they say they don’t know much when it comes to buying. The one is 93 he made horse and buggy trunks for a living. I think they both have floor models.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Actually there’s two. Anytime I ask them they say they don’t know much when it comes to buying. The one is 93 he made horse and buggy trunks for a living. I think they both have floor models.
Paster Joe, If you lived close to me I would sell you my HF drill press and I would buy that Wen press.

·
Registered
21,707 Posts
Ask and you shall receive

Pastor, I'd have a diplomatic talk with the 93 year old about the future of his tools. Most of us here lament that we don't have any family member to pass them along to when pass along. I'm lucky because I have a son in law who's interested, but many older woodworkers have perfectly good, seasoned tools and know they'll wind up being sold cheap. I'm quite sure that pastoring involves a lot of listening, so listen to the old guys. And as with the lord, ask for what you would like to have.

I had a client several years ago who was a devout Christian. However, he'd become a little egotistical about his humility and wouldn't let anyone contribute to him, verbally or otherwise. Well, the world is full of people who want to contribute, but most people won't allow anyone to contribute to them. I forced him to listen as his staff told him every wonderful thing about him. After 90 minutes his world (and staff) transformed. Being willing to receive the contribution of others, even when it doesn't occur exactly as you think it should, is a gift. It will build your congregation like nothing else.

I learned this in a seminar 30 years ago. 240 in the course, nearly all wanted to contribute. But only 36 people were willing or eager to accept the contribution of others. You can see the mismatch. But contributing to others is a soul satisfying experience (I'm sure you've felt that in your pastoring), and if that can happen in your church (and woodworking), you will be far more effective in your calling.

This was one of the greatest lessons of my life, and every time I share it I am reminded of all the wonderful things that have happend when I practice what I preach.

I wonder who might have set things up this way? :smile: :yes4:

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you can find a used Shopsmith in your area, that drill press is exceptionally capable. Plus, you'd get all it's other capabilities. I've seen them go for $100 on Craig's list.
I would second the Shopsmith. It has a great table setup for a drill press with a fence plus you can also use it as a boring machine. If you have the room (about the size of a bicycle) I would highly recommend it. The table saw isn't great but set up properly it's very capable but the drill press, boring, sanding and conical disc sanding plus the lathe are all included in one machine and are all very good. Add a bandsaw attachment and you have just about all you need for not much $$. I had one but sold it and kick myself for doing so.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I would second the Shopsmith. It has a great table setup for a drill press with a fence plus you can also use it as a boring machine. If you have the room (about the size of a bicycle) I would highly recommend it. The table saw isn't great but set up properly it's very capable but the drill press, boring, sanding and conical disc sanding plus the lathe are all included in one machine and are all very good. Add a bandsaw attachment and you have just about all you need for not much $$. I had one but sold it and kick myself for doing so.
Last I've seen on Craigslist in KC is that ShopSmith is becoming a collectable. there not so cheap anymore....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.