Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a newbie. I want to buy a new router (never owned one b-4) and need some expert knowledge and opinion as to what brand and model of routers to buy. I need to make nest boxes for my birds and to do some other wood work projects around the house. I am pretty good at using other power tools. I am looking at 2 brands; the porter cable 895pk or porter cable 593-7518, the 2nd is by Bosch 1617EVSPK, OR is there any better one than these 3 choices. After reading the feedbacks from people that have used them I do not know which one to purchase.

thank you very much and would appreciate for your expert outputs..

Eve
words are all-powerful if applied correctly, change your words and you can change the world. EMR

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi eva and welcome to the forums,

The selections you have chosen are between two 2 1/4 HP and a 3 1/4 HP. The decision would be made easier if you knew what your woodworking future held. If you plan to use the router in a table, I'd head right for the 3 1/4 HP. It can handle anything you throw at it in the future. If you plan hand-held, the bulkiness of the 3 1/4 HP can be an issue.

There are other considerations that should be taken in if/when you are able to better define your future use.

If your pocketbook allows it, one of each would be the a great choice.

I just know that somewhere on the forums I've read; "you cannot have too many routers". ":^)

Mike

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I am a newbie. I want to buy a new router (never owned one b-4) and need some expert knowledge and opinion as to what brand and model of routers to buy. I need to make nest boxes for my birds and to do some other wood work projects around the house. I am pretty good at using other power tools. I am looking at 2 brands; the porter cable 895pk or porter cable 593-7518, the 2nd is by Bosch 1617EVSPK, OR is there any better one than these 3 choices. After reading the feedbacks from people that have used them I do not know which one to purchase.

Eve
words are all-powerful if applied correctly, change your words and you can change the world. EMR
Hi Eve - Welcome to the forum:)

Nesting boxes are probably easier to make on a table but, that said, the 2 1/4 hp versions will handle most everything but the largest panel (door making) bits. I would recommend you take a look at the small 2 HP Craftsman combination (fixed and plunge bases included) kit that sells for about $120, $80 on sale. The fixed base can go in a table with above table adjustments, and the plunge base can be used for hand held work. Just a suggestion, welcome aboard:big_boss:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Will not bore you with trvial features here and there.
The 1617 is a good animal for starters, friendlier than the 895.
Good motor, has one of the best plunge castings, light weight for hand use.
But still (both castings & motor) powerful enough for upsidedown applications.
Handles cutters safely to 1.75", lots of power, disarming soft start.
What else is there? More.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Eve, either of your choices will work well. The Bosch 1617 is an industrial quality router with beefier construction; it has also been on the market for about 10 years longer than any of the other combo kits. There have been improvements over the years and the newest version has clear bases that can be laterally adjusted for perfect alignment. Since this model is priced about the same as the PC 890 series routers it is a better value for your money. I have been using my pair of 1617's for a long time and am very happy with them. You also mentioned the PC 7518 which is a 3-1/4 HP model. The 7518 is not as user friendly as your other choices but it does have brute power. The bargain way to start is with one of the Craftsman combo kits for around $100. Tomorrow I am picking up the new Bosch MRC23EVSK; this model is rated at 15 amps like the 1619 3-1/4 HP model. The HP rating is 2.3 HP which sounds like an honest power rating to me. Look here for a review once I have run it through it's paces.

·
Official Greeter
18,737 Posts
G’day Eva

Welcome to the router forum.

Thank you for joining us

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ive never owned a router yet that i didnt like--however, I've only owned 5 over a 30 year period (still have the last 4, and all work great) so that doesnt make me as good a resource or judge as others on this site!

John

·
Official Greeter
18,737 Posts
Looking for a wireless router to connect in a network. Any suggestions?
Hi hary,

I use a D-Link and have had no problems.

However this is a forum for wood working routers....

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Welcome, both would be a good choice although I would lean to the Bosch

·
Registered
782 Posts

Eve
the Bosch 1617 is a very good router i own one and use it a lot most every day. Also have the poter cable 690 also a couple of those they work very well also. I have a couple more different brand's. but the Bosch 1617 or pc would be you best bet. My self i don't like sear's . They don't make any product's that i know of. All out sourse made by someone else. my 2 cents

1 - 11 of 11 Posts