Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My renter wants to refinish a porch railing that is under a roof but the paint is flaking badly. I think the paint was enamel (was my inlaw's place so I didn't have anything to do with it) so it will probably clog sandpaper quickly. I'm also not comfortable with him (30ish and not tool experienced) using my sanders. So I'm curious what other methods members have used that they would promote. Wire brushes, 3m pads, scrapers, what have you?

·
Super Moderator
John
6,838 Posts
elbow grease,
start was wire brush, scrapers and work your way up, just lot work.

The best way to do this job get somebody else to do it !

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
just subbed it out to John...
he has the way...

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Heatgun and scraper. The stuff just rolls off. The bonus is that there's no chemicals or water to clean up or let dry.`Not nice indoors however.
Watch what you're doing! you do NOT want to get your hand in front of the gun's nozzle while you're scraping...a work glove is a real good idea (on the scraping hand not the gun hand...sheesh!)

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Chuck said the renter wasn't too tool savvy and didn't want to trust him w/ a sander...
heat gun ...
he burns himself, the railing or the house...
let alone start a fire w/ it...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John my renter wants to do it so I'm good with that. Don't care how much elbow grease is used as long as it's his elbow grease and not mine; as long as he doesn't get discouraged that is. Good idea Dan and worth a try. I already have a Mcraft one.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The outside railing would be easy to put out Stick and it's his hand not mine, so if he's a slow learner that will speed up his learning curve.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Heat gun and scraper. Wire brushes dig out the wood badly. Course sanding discs do to and load up with melted paint. Zip strip will do it too and scrape it off after it bubbles. Makes a class A mess though.

Herb

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Bubble Bubble Toil And Trouble

John my renter wants to do it so I'm good with that. Don't care how much elbow grease is used as long as it's his elbow grease and not mine; as long as he doesn't get discouraged that is. Good idea Dan and worth a try. I already have a Mcraft one.
If you haven't done this before, just hold the tip 2"-3" above the paint, wait till you see it physically changing colour and bubbling...slip your scraper* under the loosened paint and slowly move the gun forward lifting the paint with the scraper as you go. About a 30 second learning curve. :)

*my personal choice is one of those 5 in 1 style tools

·
Registered
692 Posts
If the paint is lead based, the heat is all but a death sentence to the renter using a heat gun or sander.

Heatgun and scraper. The stuff just rolls off. The bonus is that there's no chemicals or water to clean up or let dry.`Not nice indoors however.
Watch what you're doing! you do NOT want to get your hand in front of the gun's nozzle while you're scraping...a work glove is a real good idea (on the scraping hand not the gun hand...sheesh!)

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The paint is recent enough it wouldn't have had lead in it.

Reactions: DaninVan

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Worse yet it has left the wood feeling and looking like it has a glaze on it that is smooth enough that I'm not sure the new paint is going to stick to it.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: Dejure

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Worse yet it has left the wood feeling and looking like it has a glaze on it that is smooth enough that I'm not sure the new paint is going to stick to it.
emulsion primer before paint..

Reactions: Cherryville Chuck
1 - 20 of 23 Posts