Router Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Firstly, apologies if I've posted this in the wrong section of the forum but here goes.

In my mission to populate my workshop "cool tool wall" with ... I think you can guess, cool tools, I've got a "problem" with a few of the items, in that the wooden handles are pretty well impregnated with machine tool oil transferred from decades of handling by dirty greasy hands.

I'm not looking to get the handles back to some "better than new" state, as that immediately robs the tool of part of its history (does that sound like sentimental clap-trap), but I think there's plenty of scope to improve the state of the handles, so what do you think?

On the subject of history, the wrench has it's owners name scratched into the jaws and is dated as 04 April 1948.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
awwww come on guys...
let him clean the oil out of the wood...
I have a bet w/ my buddy here as to how long it will be before the handles split from dryness....

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Am I right that if somebody wanted to do it anyway...

1. Do not sand it away...so this is out...?

2. Some form of chemical would need to be used...?

Is there any chemical available that would remove the oil but not harm the wood...? Or dry it out...?

Would mineral spirits or acetone or MEK or Dawn or Simple Green or boat hull cleaner or acid of some kind or paint thinner or automotive Gunk Degreaser or metal cleaner or toilet bowl cleaner or ....

See what I mean...?

Reactions: Herb Stoops and JGC

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Am I right that if somebody wanted to do it anyway...

1. Do not sand it away...so this is out...?

2. Some form of chemical would need to be used...?

Is there any chemical available that would remove the oil but not harm the wood...? Or dry it out...?

Would mineral spirits or acetone or MEK or Dawn or Simple Green or boat hull cleaner or acid of some kind or paint thinner or automotive Gunk Degreaser or metal cleaner or toilet bowl cleaner or ....

See what I mean...?
fix the OCD or replace the handles..
be easier...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So let me get this straight, 'cos some of the replies are a little confusing. If I'm right, you guys are telling me that I should leave well alone ... :sarcastic:

Seriously though, thanks for all the input. For now, they will be staying exactly as they are ... with the exception of the screw driver which has been "sharpened" badly in the past, and I'd like to bring that back to a more useful shape, or at the very least give it a symmetrical tip.

I like that monkey wrench, I have never seen one quite that configuration before.
Herb
Herb, the wrench is marked as "Bonney Forge & Tool" on one side of the shank, and "U.S.A. Allentown PA". I can't see more than that as the casting doesn't extend far enough out of the handle.

Also, for an indication of its age, a previous owner, probably the first, scribed his name on the moving side of the jaws as "D W Moore 1948 9 04", and the cursive script is done with a scribe is neater than my best cursive ever was ... :wink:

A quick look at Wiki throws up this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonney_Forge_Corporation

... and surprisingly, the company is still in business, and only moved out of the Allentown factory in 2001!

Bonney Forge®

awwww come on guys...
let him clean the oil out of the wood...
I have a bet w/ my buddy here as to how long it will be before the handles split from dryness....
Ok, ok Stick ... did your mother never tell you that nobody likes a smart a#* ... ;-)

Seriously though, until reading the comments above, I would have oiled the handles with Linseed, after lifting out the dirt from decades of honest labour, or something along those lines.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies, be they dirt removal options, or leave as it is you Muppet ... :grin:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As an edit to the post above, I've just had a thought of something I might try.

I'm going to be getting a small vacuum chamber in the not too distant future, for de-gassing resin and getting bees-wax (or similar), deeply into some wooden carvings. The idea being that as the pressure drops, oils and the like become less viscous (more runny), so any oil in the wood would possibly displace some of the crud, before allowing some clean oil to replace the dirty oil.

However, given the responses, I'll go along with the warning messages along the lines of "test on an inconspicuous part first". In this case, that means find a dirty old bit of timber and give that a try first ... :grin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.