Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice the bits I’ve ordered from Infinity tools come with a clear plastic coating on them for protection in shipping. What is the best method for removing the plastic protective coating from router bits?

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Is this the same rubbery stuff that carbide saw teeth are dipped in? In the case of the saw teeth, I know guys that leave it on, mount the blade, and make a cut in scrap wood. Problem solved...apparently. :0

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I usually peel off the protective coating with a thumbnail. I don't know if the coating on Infinity bits is any different than anyone elses bits.

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Pocketknife does it for me.

Reactions: hawkeye10

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this the same rubbery stuff that carbide saw teeth are dipped in? In the case of the saw teeth, I know guys that leave it on, mount the blade, and make a cut in scrap wood. Problem solved...apparently. :0
It should be. You can’t run a router bit and remove it that way because it can damage the bit. I know some people use a utility knife to gentely remove it. Always thought there would be a liquid or spray you could apply to dissolve the coating.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I've heard that you can collect and reheat and reuse it but have never tried it. That would imply that it can be melted off with a heat gun.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Sometimes the rubber can be fairly hard.

I use a small awl, and slide it down the inside of the flute from the shank end. After that, it'll usually pop right off in one piece.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Depending on the cutter I would either peel from the shaft down to the cutter keeping in mind the cutter are sharp. It's the same coating that comes on Forest blades and intended as a protective covering. On my rail and stile set from Whiteside (they also use this coating) it came off is several pieces. Trying to make a cut with it intack is foolish in my opinion. You don't want stuff flying around the shop and that would come off in pieces and be flung at the speed of the router. Seems reckless to me.........but that's just me.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
What Could Go Wrong?

Depending on the cutter I would either peel from the shaft down to the cutter keeping in mind the cutter are sharp. It's the same coating that comes on Forest blades and intended as a protective covering. On my rail and stile set from Whiteside (they also use this coating) it came off is several pieces. Trying to make a cut with it intack is foolish in my opinion. You don't want stuff flying around the shop and that would come off in pieces and be flung at the speed of the router. Seems reckless to me.........but that's just me.
Steve; I wasn't recommending that 'process', just mentioning it as an unusual solution. I wouldn't do it either, but as a general observation I don't believe there's any risk involved (for router bits); a bit of rubble for sure. What you have is a very soft shreddable material caught between Carbide and hardwood. (Not unlike one's fingers).
I may even try it just to see if it actually works... :)

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Steve; I wasn't recommending that 'process', just mentioning it as an unusual solution. I wouldn't do it either, but as a general observation I don't believe there's any risk involved (for router bits); a bit of rubble for sure. What you have is a very soft shreddable material caught between Carbide and hardwood. (Not unlike one's fingers).
I may even try it just to see if it actually works... :)
Video please if you do;)
:wink:

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I do not understand why any instrument more sophisticated or less accessible than a fingernail is needed to remove the protective coating.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Tom; some of us keep our fingernails really short. :)
Good point Dan, but it has always worked for me, even when my nails are short. I am concerned hat anything metallic could damage the bit, especially the carbide.

Reactions: DaninVan
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.