Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ~20 year old B&D 7616 router that has given me great, relatively light use over the years. I think the bearings are going as it recently it's started making a horrible screech when I run it. Had a small job I was eager to finish so pressed ahead as it seemed to be working anyway.

Has it likely given up the ghost? Worth repairing? Who might do it?

Thanks for any comments.

If I replace it, the only one I can afford is the basic Dewalt 616 -- can't justify the $$ for the plunge base. Opinions?

Thanks in advance.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome RS. Bearings can be replaced, by yourself if you have some mechanical knowledge, and are fairly cheap. The question is whether you fried the wiring by pushing ahead. When it starts running slower than it should it starts drawing more amps and heats up. Have a look at recon Bosch 1617s.

Reactions: Mike

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Welcome RS. Bearings can be replaced, by yourself if you have some mechanical knowledge, and are fairly cheap. The question is whether you fried the wiring by pushing ahead. When it starts running slower than it should it starts drawing more amps and heats up. Have a look at recon Bosch 1617s.
what you said...

and...

also look to the 1617EVSPK-R
Reconditioned Routers and Trimmers
the Bosch tools are about as good as you are going to get...
their customer service gets 6 stars out of 5...
no worries on the reconditioned...
CPO is a very good company also..

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Agree with Stick and Charles. You will be glad you took their advice.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,355 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
...are you sure the brushes are good...?

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
RS, while repairing your old router is possible there is great advantage in replacing it with a new one. If you can only have one router it should be a plunge router since they can do much more than a fixed base router.

There is a great deal of information in the "Sticky" threads at the top of each section of the forums. Here is a link to the first section to get you started:

http://www.routerforums.com/general-routing/55897-how-tos-information.html#post506073

1 - 7 of 7 Posts