Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

4 or 5 years ago I bought a cheapy cheap router, brand-name Torq. Probably made in Korea or Cambodia for all I know! I went the cheap route as I had never used one and didn't want to splash out a lot of cash and then find that I didn't have the talent for it. Anyway I built a router table and installed it. All was fine but being a plunge type the height setting was problematic so I built a lift. All was now great and I loved it. A few days ago it died. Very sad, but for what I paid, it works out to about USD 8 per year. No problem, I went back to the store to get a replacement. No stock and no idea when they are getting any. Very, very sad.
So I am left with this dilemma. Make a new table from scratch and buy a different model or repair the router. Being a diy sort-a-guy I took it apart but couldn't find anything wrong.
The symptoms are that it runs up to speed then after 10 seconds it slowly runs down again before making some rather frightening sounds at which point I always switch it off. I thought that it might be the speed control circuit but the "frightening sounds" come from the chuck end. Could it be a bearing? Unlikely as that would be noisy immediately on switch on.

I know that this is not exactly a router forum question but more for an electronics site but maybe one of you have come across this problem or are gifted in the electrical department.

Thanks in advance

David

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
David, the problem is the bearings. As they heat up they make noise. Time for a rebuild.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi David

I will 2nd Mike's post BUT why put more money down the same hole you can find one more like it for 40.oo bucks off eBay or from HF I'm sure..it's not a big to drill new holes to mount it into your router table..

===

Hi all.

4 or 5 years ago I bought a cheapy cheap router, brand-name Torq. Probably made in Korea or Cambodia for all I know! I went the cheap route as I had never used one and didn't want to splash out a lot of cash and then find that I didn't have the talent for it. Anyway I built a router table and installed it. All was fine but being a plunge type the height setting was problematic so I built a lift. All was now great and I loved it. A few days ago it died. Very sad, but for what I paid, it works out to about USD 8 per year. No problem, I went back to the store to get a replacement. No stock and no idea when they are getting any. Very, very sad.
So I am left with this dilemma. Make a new table from scratch and buy a different model or repair the router. Being a diy sort-a-guy I took it apart but couldn't find anything wrong.
The symptoms are that it runs up to speed then after 10 seconds it slowly runs down again before making some rather frightening sounds at which point I always switch it off. I thought that it might be the speed control circuit but the "frightening sounds" come from the chuck end. Could it be a bearing? Unlikely as that would be noisy immediately on switch on.

I know that this is not exactly a router forum question but more for an electronics site but maybe one of you have come across this problem or are gifted in the electrical department.

Thanks in advance

David

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Bearings come in fairly standard sizes and are comparatively cheap even I suspect in South Africa.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the posts Mike and Bob.

I had entertained the idea that it was a bearing but to my limited experience of bearings going bad is that they get noisy long before anything else happens. This problem came out of nowhere.

It spins up then after a matter of seconds gradually slows as if I was turning down the speed control and without the screeching you would get with a bad bearing. Only when it's about to stop does the "frightening noise" happen.

I looked at redrilling for my Bosch router but it doesn't seem to have the reach to get through the thick acrylic that I used for the base plate.

Looks like I had better go shop around for a router with better plunge depth than my bosch. The Torq was underpowered anyway.

Thanks

D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Harry

your post must have come in when I was posting to Mike and Bob.

SA is metric like most of the world (apologies to that little country across the pond).
I have googled Torq to find a manufacturer but no-one wants to take the blame, I mean credit. Seeing as I am going to have to ditch the thing I guess I might as well try to pull out the bearing and truck it around a few suppliers before buying another one.

·
Registered
777 Posts
You should post a picture of your router. Chances are that it is exactly the same as other cheap routers that go by different names.
Try googling 'draper routers' and see if it looks like any of them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.