Router Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Lil CNC buddies. I have a guy who wants about 50 address signs. All the same shape (very simple), pocket cut with all different numbers. With Aspire, I can lay a piece of Corafoam big enough to make 12 at a time (2 rows of 6), so how do I set it up to cut all 12 signs with one touch off -- but with different numbers. I can use the same 1/8" end mill to do the pocket and profile cut.

The only other way I can think of is to cut a bunch of blanks, make a jig, and just take a finished one out and plunk a new blank piece in, one right after another. That way I wouldn't have to touch off the axis every time. Just hit "go".

HJ

Technician in training

·
Registered
349 Posts
What I have found is it is much faster to break down the material to blanks on a table saw or band saw. Cutting the perimeters with the CNC, then removing tabs is much slower in cut time and post processing. I put wood strips on the table to register the Y axis and X to Y0,X0. Then fasten another strip about 1 inch above the material (Y axis) and use some wedges to keep each blank in place. I've made over a hundred signs this way.

Steve.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I find it almost easier to do like you said. Make a quick jig, and put one sign in after another. Usually after the first sign, i have some sanding and finishing work to do while the 2nd sign is being cut, so im usually by the router anyway to put the next one in.
Just my 2 cents =)

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill, that's easier said than done - - especially at the 2/3 mark to the finish. Should know Mon or Tues whether I get the job or not. You may be hearing from me.

HJ

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx Jay,

Putting the stuff down and "designing" isn't too much of a problem. It's getting the right thickness on each component to make them blend in that is giving me fits. Hopefully I'll get a better grasp on it this coming week end when I meet the Vectric people in Vegas.

Also supposed to meet Scottart there. Hope to bend his ear and get some good tips on doing wildlife scenes and finishing.

HJ

·
Registered
146 Posts
Run your periphery on all pieces on one program. Run the numbers on another. But like stated it may still be easier to them separately.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts