Router Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
reject huh????? :) its all about the wood ya pick and how ya lay it out

Thats a great pattern! Ive done a couple of wall hangers using that design, coupled with a nice frame or just trimmed out, its a real eye grabber..

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
reject huh????? :) its all about the wood ya pick and how ya lay it out

Thats a great pattern! Ive done a couple of wall hangers using that design, coupled with a nice frame or just trimmed out, its a real eye grabber..
It is more than that Bill, I can pick woods and lay out, but cutting all those edges to fit nicely is where the rubber hits the road. I am not a patient person and it sure wears what little I have cutting and throwing away the pieces.:grin::grin::grin:
This is like some of those masterpieces, the farther away the better they look.

Herb

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
but cutting all those edges to fit nicely is where the rubber hits the road.

Ohhhhh I hear that!! Especially exotics! Some can be very "difficult" and try your patience to no end. Most American hardwoods are much easier to cut. I use a surgical scalpel, veneer saw, a good straight edge and a chisel if the pieces are small enough. A couple, three passes with the scalpel is usually enough, a light sanding with 320 or there abouts to square up the edges. If that don't get it perfect, a little wood filler, tint and artists pencils get it to the point where you have to be looking for boo-boo's to find em. Not to mention any number of jigs to make the job easier....
Anything thicker than veneers, think 3D cutting boards and its jig city.... :grin:

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,236 Posts
Holy Moly, Herb. Your rejects are something I would be proud to pass off as my good stuff!

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:crying::laugh: Oh I don't think so Oliver, but thanks anyway. Theis is a reminder to not go there again.:crying::laugh::laugh:
I was thinking of drilling some holes in it and putting router bits in the squares.LMAO

Herb

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ohhhhh I hear that!! Especially exotics! Some can be very "difficult" and try your patience to no end. Most American hardwoods are much easier to cut. I use a surgical scalpel, veneer saw, a good straight edge and a chisel if the pieces are small enough. A couple, three passes with the scalpel is usually enough, a light sanding with 320 or there abouts to square up the edges. If that don't get it perfect, a little wood filler, tint and artists pencils get it to the point where you have to be looking for boo-boo's to find em. Not to mention any number of jigs to make the job easier....
Anything thicker than veneers, think 3D cutting boards and its jig city.... :grin:
You got a whole kit there, but there is one item you need,and I love this little tool for veneering:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gaosi-Tool...580367&hash=item3f7dd1fef0:g:lgsAAOSwEHpZLamu

Herb

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
what they said Herb...

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what are your thoughts on that tool Herb???

looks like it could be a handy lil ole thing
I really like it for cross cutting strips of veneer and small moldings. It is sharp as all get out,and seems to cut in a shearing motion rather than a scissor cut. you can shave off just a smidgen too. gives a finished cut nice and clean.

Herb

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.