Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Delta 14" bandsaw with riser block and a 1/2 HP motor. Although everything cuts, tracks etc. fine, it seems to lack the power to resaw 8" white birch boards. Would changing the pulleys to lower blade speed help? I'm pretty sure these are the original pulleys. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Not enough motor,you need a minimum of 1 hp to resaw 6" or more, and most will say you need 1 1/2hp to resaw. If I ever put a riser block in my Jet 14" I think I will re-motor it yo 2hp if possiable

·
Registered
782 Posts
kinda under powered. What size pulleys on motor and saw?? And is it a 1625 rpm ? What i did was put a 1" pulley on my motor and 6" pulley on saw. These are double belt and iron type , Browning mfd. Now the motor is a 3450 rpm and a 1 1/2 hp . Mine will resaw anything i run through it and no slowing down at all. The smaller pulley on the motor the more tork but also slow's down the blade.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I agree with Jerry. 2hp or more would be preferred, i 1/2hp would do the job with a slow speed. The issue with changing the gear ratio to give more torque, is that you would lose the speed (momentum) of your flywheels as well. I had a 1/2hp Delta years ago, and 1 1/2" is about the maximum that I would attempt with a hardwood, and even that was a tough go.

I have the Laguna LT14 SUV (for Souped Up Version, no kidding). It is a 3hp model, and I have resawn 13" yellow birch with no problem, getting a nice 1/8" veneer.

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the helpful advice. I'm going with an upgrade to 1 HP as I'm afraid my 15 amp 110 volt wiring won't permit anything more. I'll try changing pulleys if the new motor doesn't cut it (ha ha!). I don't resaw a lot so cutting speed doesn't matter to me. Thanks again for all your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts