Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used Electrolysis to remove the rust. Let me tell you something. Yo use any other technique is just crazy. ALL the rust is off... All. It's crazy

Question now.. The top of the table is black . How do I get it back to shiny clean iron? Before I found this technique to get rust off, I tried to do it using a orbital Sander and 220 grit and in one spot, one that I worked on for like an hour, I got that super smooth shiny surface back. Now that all the rust is off, should I use the orbital again? Use Mineral Spirits and wet sand it? Will it be a hell of a lot easier now that all that rust and crap is gone? Man this electrolysis is insane. I just wiped it with a Scotch Brite gently after and the surface is Smoot and clean.

I'm going to primer and paint the under carriage. Everything that isn't facing strait up gets painted. Bought rustoleum auto primer and Rustoleum Auto Enamel . Even bought a highly reflective color because somebody said I'd think them later for telling me that..

Now how do I get the top looking right so I can wax it?

And yes I know I could use it like it is. I really don't want to . It was my dad's and I'm trying to completely restore it (with improvements)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Use Scotch Brite or brass wire brush, preferably with a diegrinder. There are also rubber finger discs, sold at the same places as the Ro-loc Scotch Brite, that may do well. You would not normally want to use sand paper on a machined surface.
Rob

·
Registered
42 Posts
I used scotchbrite pads, then hit with rubbing compound, then paste wax. As for the underside rust. I know locktite sells a rust neutralizer, it is recommended that you get rid of all loose rust and clean and apply...Read the direction for more thorough steps.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Now how do I get the top looking right so I can wax it?

And yes I know I could use it like it is. I really don't want to . It was my dad's and I'm trying to completely restore it (with improvements)
It is just a matter of taking finer sanding steps each time until you get to a smooth finish and use a spiral sewn buff and some compound to polish to get that mirror finish.

use the non-woven pads and not sandpaper...

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.