Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Retrial
When I informed my good wife that I had an opportunity to retire early and what did she think. She turned to me and after what I thought was an eternity she told me it was a great idea. Thank god I thought, a life of luxury after forty six years at the figuratively speaking coal face. As she walked away she asked, where will you go when you are not at work. Here I interjected. Here she said about four times, yes you and me together 24/7. I saw the color drain from her face. What are you going to do when you are here, with the emphasis on here. Sit around I thought but didn't say. Help you I offered, help me with what she countered. I was floundering, cooking I said hopefully. I though she had had a coronary she was laughing so much. You can't boil an egg, can so I muttered. How about cleaning, grasping at straws, after she recovered from her stroke she said yes that's sounds reasonable. We will give it a try. Go get the cleaning materials she said. As I stood there not quite sure in which direction to go, she shook her head and went to fetch the various sprays, bottles and dusters.

As you routers know I have a retrial workshop, which I frequent when time allows and it's a handful when the sawdust etc builds up. I put it off again and again until the shavings reach my bottom lip.

That's when I call my good wife in. Now when I offered to clean the house for her, in return for helping clean the workshop, what I meant was clean one room. She handed me the various cleaning things and shoved me in the lounge. I'll do the bathroom and left me to it. I stood there in that room like it was the first time I'd been in the room. Do I vacuum first or polish, I had been given no instructions on how to proceed from my prison warden. I decided in my wisdom to completely empty the room into the hall to create space to work.
Worked a treat, vacuumed them polished each item as I returned it. After completion I looked around pleased as punch. I didn't think the spray polish was good value as I felt you should get more than one room from a full tin.

Went to fetch the wife to show off my cleaning skills and was surprised to find her reading a magazine having a coffee. This is not getting the work done I said smugly. Finished she said without leaving the page she was reading. The bathroom I asked. The house she returned. How long do you think you have been in there she asked. I don't know I was too busy enjoying myself to notice. Two hours she said, I have cleaned the house while you were decanting the lounge. She eventually looked up at this sorry excuse of a cleaner standing there with an empty tin of polish and about forty used dusters. Go clean your workshop she said disgustingly. Can't no polish left.

Colin
Scotland

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
snork!!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Real quick like, you'll wonder when you ever had time to work!!

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,336 Posts
>:)>:)>:)>:)

·
Premium Member
Frank
313 Posts
I retired 10 years ago at 59 1/2. I have never been "trained" to cook, clean, do dished, wash windows, etc. At least that is what I tell my wife. At least once a year she thinks she needs to clean my shop. I always loose something, but I never complain. I really do agree that you will soon realize that you did not have time to work. I can keep busy and still play golf three times a week in the summer.

Frank

·
Registered
813 Posts
Congrats of the retirement, but be careful with asking for help cleaning your shop. My wife seemed to enjoy cleaning mine and although I appreciated the effort on her part it usually takes me 3 or 4 days to find everything after the cleaning. There is also a difference of opinion when it comes to sawdust on the floor. I still contend that it is somewhat helpful to have the cushioning effect when I drop a sharp tool/bit and it hits sawdust rather than concrete. Although I have rubber mats around all the machinery Murphy's law makes the dropped item land just off the edge every time. Enjoy your retirement.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
My (height challenged) wife has me do the jobs that require stretching - cleaning the blades on the ceiling fans, the mirror in the bathroom, and so forth - plus I have been known to occasionally push the vacuum cleaner around.

In return, I let her nowhere near my shop. It's not that dirty, just cluttered, but she seems to think that she can "tidy" it up for me - unfortunately, her idea of tidying seems to involve throwing out all the "stuff" I've collected over the years so I don't even mention help when I'm planning to clean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts