Router Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A project I am working on suggests (as one combination) use of a 1/2" bushing & 1/4" bit to make the intermediate template then a 1" bushing and a 1/4" bit to make the complementary template. Problem I have is that my 9 piece PC Bushing set doesn't include a 1" bushing. How can I determine if any of the bushings I currently have will provide the appropriate combination to make the complementary templates for my project. Or is there a list/table of combinations that will work that I have been unable to locate? Last resort will be to purchase a new bushing set. Thanks for any help in advance. Regards John

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I am not aware of your method but I would not rule it out.
The offset of collar and cutter could be expressed as:
OD-CD/2, where OD is OD of collar and CD = cutter diameter.
With that equation you can calculate any collar/cutter offset.
An example of CTR, uses all kinds of cutters including bearing guided (on shank or on the end).

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,344 Posts
Welcome to the forum John.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I actually wrote a book on this. Hardwood edging and Inlay for curved tables - (shameless plug). Bottom line is you want to offset the bit to either side of the cutting seam.
There are a number of way to achieve this. One you could make the 1" bushing to fit over a smaller template guide. This can easily be done on a lath, drill press or disk sander.

Another way is to use the 1/4" bit and 3/4" OD template guide. Using the ID template that is 1/4" smaller than your cut, you can cut one piece and at the same time cut the OD template. Then using the OD template, with same 1/4 bit and 3/4" guide, you cut the other part. Not sure it this is clear as mud? visual are much better.

If you give me your email I can send you a drawing show this concept that might help.

·
Registered
Theo
6,930 Posts
If you give me your email I can send you a drawing show this concept that might help.
Be even better if you posted it, so everyone could see it.

Reactions: old coasty

·
Registered
34 Posts
There is a thread on Bushing and Templates on this Forum; but I am not good at finding things on the Search. I would rather be in the shop working than figuring out computer languish. Maybe some of the outher members can tell you how to search it out.

·
Official Greeter
18,750 Posts
G'day John. Welcome to the forum.

You can buy Inlay Guide bushing template sets that use a collar on a guide bushing to achieve that result.

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
1 Posts
A simple way

I have a set of imperial bushings (I'm Ozzy ;-), The numbers were swimming around in my head........
conversions,....
off sets.....
equations....

I humbled around the net a bit until I found this, thanks heaps....

What I came up with was this.

Outside Diameter 1 = OD1
Outside Diameter 2 = OD2
Bit diameter = d

(OD1 - OD2)/2 = d

So find two bushings large and a small plug them into the equation and BOOM that's the bit you need.

Cheers

Locky

PS: I am sure you all know this but it was aha moment for me so I thought I would share ;-)
PPS: am about to go try it so if you can see a problem have a laugh because I will be finding out soon.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi Locky and welcome. You should do a proper introduction of yourself in that sub forum. And change the N/A to Locky when you get a chance. Calculating the off set is much simpler than many people think it is. If you are using a 1" guide for example with a 1/2" bit then the offset is 1/4". It's half the difference between the OD of the bushing and the bit diameter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts