Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My job involves rounding over many thousands of small (2x3 inches) wooden parts. I have a VERY custom setup that's pushing small pieces through a table mounted router very quickly. Currently, I'm processing about 2 pieces per second. It's taken me about 6 years to get to this point. In order to process both sides of my piece, I currently have to put them through the machine twice. This turns out to be quite expensive in terms of labor, so I'm ready to spend the money necessary to fix this problem for real. The simplest way to optimize would involve a second router on the other side of the track spinning in a reverse direction. I've found a supplier for reverse bits. I understand that there are spindles that allow for reverse rotation, but I don't know how to mount them under the table in a way that I can easily adjust the height of the blade. I really like the SawStop router table lift that I got but I don't think it will mount a spindle, though the Jessum looks nice too. I've heard that you can mess with the wires inside a router to reverse the rotation, and this sounds doable, but there may be issues with the bit mount loosening up over time and I'm not sure if it would affect the life time of the router. Ideally, I think, a spindle mounted under the table sounds like the right approach, but I'm open to other suggestions. However, I don't know of a spindle mount that goes under a table in the same way a router table mount does. Any suggestions would be most welcome. If you want to propose a custom build, money shouldn't be a huge issue on this one. If anyone knows of a round spindle, that would also be super helpful. I'm not sure why they are all mostly square. No idea is too out there on this one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I've thought about a reversible shaper, but they all seem to be built into a table and I'm not sure how I would integrate that into my current table.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
It's possible to make a router run in reverse electrically speaking, but having someone well experienced in brush type motor service will be needed to change the internal wiring between the coils and brushes will be needed. An electric motor rewinding shop is my best suggestion for this. Then there is the problem of keeping the collet tight, since the right hand threads of the collet and shaft are going to loosen from vibration when running backwards, and you don't want a router bit getting loose at this speed. So a special armature and collet, both with left hand threads is going to be needed. If you find a source for these, you had better buy extras, since the tooling costs to make these special one off is going to be very high. Then there is the soft start circuit in the router that will likely need to be made special with different components.

I have no one to suggest for getting this done, except maybe the router manufacturer who sells you the router for the other side of this project. Good luck in getting this. Manufacturers don't like one-off specials. They interfere with normal production.

Charley

·
Registered
106 Posts
There is a way that doesn't involve a reverse rotation router.

Have one router below the table, one mounted above in the hand held orientation. But then the upper router is in the way of using push sticks etc? What are the dimensions of your pieces?

Edit:
Oh I see you said 2x3 inches, what about length?

The normal router table fence, feather boards or rollers holding the work piece against the fence and from above holding it down. An added miter track that keeps a pusher centered? This kind of track:
So it doesn't lift up. Seems like that could be fast.

How about a photo of the pieces you are making? Or is that proprietary etc?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry Bob, I think I gave the wrong impression. The pieces are 2x3.5 inches in length and only 3/8ths of an inch thick. Overall, these pieces are VERY small. That is why this is so hard and non-standard. I'm currently feeding it with a custom setup using a power feeder. Does 2 pieces per second.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts