Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a duplicator that will cut two pieces at one time. I am trying to find a router that counter spins so I will have one router spinning clockwise and the other counter clockwise.

I have had no luck finding one. I know they are available but can't find any. I have read up a little on reversing the spin on a router but I am not sure if that is the route I want to go. Safety reasons and all.

Thanks.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi BJ

Sounds like you are looking for more of a elec. mixer than a router :) the kind they use to make cakes,etc...:)

=======

I am building a duplicator that will cut two pieces at one time. I am trying to find a router that counter spins so I will have one router spinning clockwise and the other counter clockwise.

I have had no luck finding one. I know they are available but can't find any. I have read up a little on reversing the spin on a router but I am not sure if that is the route I want to go. Safety reasons and all.

Thanks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Im new to routing and wood working in general so please don't point and laugh if this is silly, but would having one router mounted from under and one above in theory reverse the directly it will be feeding from and work in the same fashion? like I say if its a completely silly idea just ignore me lol

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Welcome to the RouterForums B.J. Glad to have you join us.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have had no luck finding one. I know they are available but can't find any. I have read up a little on reversing the spin on a router but I am not sure if that is the route I want to go.
Have you had any luck finding bits that cut the opposite direction?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im new to routing and wood working in general so please don't point and laugh if this is silly, but would having one router mounted from under and one above in theory reverse the directly it will be feeding from and work in the same fashion? like I say if its a completely silly idea just ignore me lol
The reason it won't work is because it will be incredibly complicated to build, will take up tons of space on the table, if it was an open bottom it would be plausible but I am using a downdraft dust collection. There would also be the issue of how it cuts. Since I will be cutting 3 dimensional from the top it would be nearly impossible to get the proper cut if one of the blanks were to be cut from the bottom, and then I would still have to worry about the swing issue, one would be swinging down towards the blank and the other would be swinging away from the blank.
I had not thought of this option previously, it made me stop and think. But then I realized the guy I have building the dupe machine would strangle me if I came out with a change like that.

This was going to be another topic but since you brought it up. The only way to get reverse directional router bits would be to have them custom made.
I came across Saburr Tooth bits and the pics look like they might be dual directional, but their website stinks so I was not able to look around. They seem to have good reviews but could not find any actual experienced reviews.
If anyone knows of a place that supplies quality bits that do both directions, I don't like to mix brands on a project like this, I would be very grateful.

Welcome to the RouterForums B.J. Glad to have you join us.
Thank you for the welcome.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,004 Posts
Reversing a universal (brush type) motor isn't a problem, just reverse the field connections relative to the brushes. The problem arises with the cutter, it would have to be custom made, unlike twist drills which are available for both directions and are used in industry where many holes are drilled at the one time, some going clockwise others anti-clockwise.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Well, now. I thought everything turned opposite directions depending on which side of the equator you were on.:jester: Naw..airplanes would fall out of the sky...or fly backwards.:blink:

Seriously, I'm glad you abandoned the idea. Even if it were economically possible, it would seem to be incredibly dangerous.

Gene

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi BJ

They now make and sell a power hand saw just that way maybe it time they may do the same for the router but I don't think so right now..

They do it all the time in the big wood mill shops but with 2 or more router motors..lots of luck with your quest.. :)

========

·
Registered
4 Posts
You might be better off mounting your routers over top of a two tier table (one piece on the bottom and one on the top). Each tier would have to be angled slightly relative to the pivot point for the routers. You would connect them together on one carriage that would slide in and out and move up and down you could use a linkage to rotate them positionally but the pivot point for the router carriage would have to be a long way from the router to minimize the distortion. You have picked a really challenging problem. Have you considered doing a CNC router instead?
Ray

·
Registered
2 Posts
This was going to be another topic but since you brought it up. The only way to get reverse directional router bits would be to have them custom made.
Actually, having some experience with such things (see my introductory post if you are so inclined), I immediately thought about milling bits. Some of the more aggressive carbide bits I use are quite similar to some of the less aggressive wood bits for my router. They are available with both 1/4" and 1/2" shanks and in "left-handed" versions. I have used milling bits in a woodworking router to shape aluminum; why not use them in a router to shape wood?

You might consider getting a mandrel (with a 1/2" shank) that will mount "shaper-style" bits. (I use these in a metal mill, why not in a router?) They would let you use "carbide insert" type bits that could be "turned over" to get a left-handed cut. You could also "grind your own profile" pretty easily if you were using inserts (note: at the speeds your router turns, you'd want to be VERY careful with the grinding to get all the "teeth" the same size and shape -- make a jig!) Do keep in mind that any mandrel bits or any non-center-cutting milling bits will not "plunge cut"; you will have to "work from an edge" with these.

Also, there is a series of "Left Hand Plunge Router Bits" available if "straight" cuts are what you want. Being new here, I cannot post the link directly; however, if you go to "dubU, dubU, dubU dot toolstoday dot com" and do a search for "left hand router bits" you should find a number of bits, including one dovetail, made by Amana Tool. (Note: for some reason, if you search for "lefthand router bits" instead of "left hand router bits" the dovetail bit doesn't show up -- go figure!)

Hopefully, this post isn't too late to help with your project!

-101-

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
There are many left handed cutters, certainly not for all occasions, but straight and dovetail cutters, e.g. are available.
I'd be more concerned with the collet and other stuff loosening, if all the stuff under load, were not also reverse threaded.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi

Say what,,,I have not seen one router that can turn a bit in reverse so why would you every want to buy one. mill yes drill motor yes but for a router NO.

=====

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'd like to see a sketch of the proposed machine. I don't understand why a reverse turning router is needed. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
There ARE router motors which turn in either direction, however, they are specifically built for use on pin routers and CNC routers - those are also the tools that LH bits are made for. As to two cutters running in opposite directions, that is also exactly how industrial parts copiers (the sort of tools which are used to produce flat chair legs, etc in the furniture industry) work - the workpiece is attached to a template which runs between two vertical spindles which are pneumatically held onto the template. Biggest problem with industrial LH motors is that the tool holders, collets, etc are only are made for RH rotation so they need to be clamped up very tightly and checked regularly.

If an 18,000 rpm motor can't be found why doesn't the OP consider the approach once used in smaller industrial overhead pin routers, a 3000 rpm (in USA 3600 rpm) induction motor with a drive pulley attached, a flat belt and a second spindle with a larger pulley on top. The circumference ratio 1:6 would give a spindle speed of 18,000 rpm (21,600rpm in the USA) which is adequate for many tasks and which is about as fast as you can go on steel bearings (24,000 rpm really needs ceramics or other technology bearings)

Regards

Phil

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Reverse rotating router motors and bits are for special built production machines only. There is no advantage in using them. Router rotation direction is a world wide standard that some engineers decided to ignor in order to sell expensive bits and parts. This is why you find signs in most industrial tool rooms with sayings like: "Flush twice, it's a long way to the Engineering Department" or: "Let's play Engineer. You design something wrong and I'll make it work."

·
Registered
Mike
3,787 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts