Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cut a lot of small to very small pieces on my miter saw and several years ago I embraced Ted Baldwin's techniques for cutting small pieces safely.

His technique of using a piece of wood as a hold-down to keep your fingers away from the blade is something I practice religiously. But at some point I tend to use my hold-down scrap for something else and then have to dig around for a new one the next time I cut something small.

I finally broke down and purchased the 10 Million Dollar Stick from FastCap. Actually, the stick is about $15— the 10 Million part is the value of your fingers.

The FastCap hold-down stick is made from some kind of sturdy plastic, with two legs and feet at one end which are roughly 3 1/2" apart. Both the single end and the double end have thick non-skid dots about a 1/2" in diameter. The 18" stick raises about 2 1/4" inches at the double foot end which allows you plenty of leverage to apply pressure to the stock you are cutting. There is a cushioned hand grip in the center which helps you apply pressure and control the the stick. The ergonomics work well and the non-skid dots don't slip.

I have found it to be a handy addition to my miter saw. It saves me time trying to find a long scrap to use as a hold-down and another scrap to use as fulcrum point. It's works well keeping your fingers away from the sharp, spinning stuff and the investment is minimal. If you aren't using some system for keeping your fingers safe when cutting small pieces, check it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I really like that thing, Oliver. Thanks for sharing. I'm not much to buy gadgets but I think this one might be an exception.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
thanks for the heads up Oliver...

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,784 Posts
Oliver,

It is interesting to see that they have made the handle plastic. The version I have has a wood handle.

It is impressive how much hold down power you can get with this simple tool, and how easy it is to use. The rubber pad on the back end works for moving small off cuts away from the blade when using the miter gauge on the table saw.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Anyone who has a miter saw, or basic tools, could easily make their own version of this, basically for free. It's just a plastic stick with some rubber stickers on it.

I'm skeptical what RouterForums is doing recently, given the recent changes and the appearance of this type of "sponsored content."

Feels like someone's trying to sell out the community, or trying to prove the value to potential buyers/sponsors.

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,784 Posts
Anyone who has a miter saw, or basic tools, could easily make their own version of this, basically for free. It's just a plastic stick with some rubber stickers on it.

I'm skeptical what RouterForums is doing recently, given the recent changes and the appearance of this type of "sponsored content."

Feels like someone's trying to sell out the community, or trying to prove the value to potential buyers/sponsors.
We've had tool reviews on this site since day one. Just a bunch of guys and gals sharing what works in their shop....

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

First off, this is not sponsored content. I bought the tool and I use the tool and I think others can benefit from it. Yes, you are correct, anyone can make something similar for little or no cost that can work equally well. I did for several years. I just happen to find this inexpensive, dedicated tool helpful. And yes, it is store bought ... just like my all my featherboards and push sticks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm speaking with everyone's best interests in mind.

It makes sense to discuss or encourage people to buy various bits of equipment that can't be easily made from scratch, or is beyond the average person's technical proficiency. The forum is a resource that saves us time and money, through the unfiltered transmission of candid advice, informed by real personal experience.

I can't make a ruler with laser etched accuracy on my own. I can't spend the time or money it would require to build power tools from scratch. I can't get a low cost perfect edge on a blade without someone providing a little guidance. And I can't tell how rugged a piece of equipment is unless someone honestly tells me what they've read or experienced. So, someone like me comes here looking to absorb and rebroadcast the things that will legitimately help the grass roots woodworker. And I've freely participated for about a year now.

When I come across a post like the one that started this thread, and place it in the context of some other recent posts (like the Sharp 9000btu mini split thread), and see that everyone's password is getting changed for some kind of server reset on the back end, it makes me skeptical that there's something changing behind the scenes.

I don't want this site to turn into another data combine, harvesting our information and funneling it to the highest paying advertiser, or covertly duping the community into wasting their hard earned money on orchestrated product fads.

Now if I'm wrong, and this plastic stick is just organically popping up, with an MSRP of 10-15x markup, then so be it. But at least I reminded the folks on here that even $15 took time and effort to earn from the world, and they're better off using that money on things they can't easily and cheaply be done on their own.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks, once again Oliver. You always have the best interest of the forum members when sharing your woodworking techniques.
I did not know this product existed. I am not a gadget freak, but a SAFETY FIRST kind of guy. I will certainly get one of these
little guys, along with one or more of their tape measures, once I decide which one I want. I do cut a lot of small parts, this will
certainly safeguard any potential hand injuries.

Recently a co worker had a woodworking accident. He has not been back to work yet. He might not. Very unfortunate. My brother
does home remodeling, I will get him one also.

Ellery Becnel

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts

It makes sense to discuss or encourage people to buy various bits of equipment that can't be easily made from scratch, or is beyond the average person's technical proficiency. The forum is a resource that saves us time and money, through the unfiltered transmission of candid advice, informed by real personal experience.

I can't make a ruler with laser etched accuracy on my own. I can't spend the time or money it would require to build power tools from scratch. I can't get a low cost perfect edge on a blade without someone providing a little guidance. And I can't tell how rugged a piece of equipment is unless someone honestly tells me what they've read or experienced. So, someone like me comes here looking to absorb and rebroadcast the things that will legitimately help the grass roots woodworker. And I've freely participated for about a year now.

When I come across a post like the one that started this thread, and place it in the context of some other recent posts (like the Sharp 9000btu mini split thread), and see that everyone's password is getting changed for some kind of server reset on the back end, it makes me skeptical that there's something changing behind the scenes.

I don't want this site to turn into another data combine, harvesting our information and funneling it to the highest paying advertiser, or covertly duping the community into wasting their hard earned money on orchestrated product fads.

Now if I'm wrong, and this plastic stick is just organically popping up, with an MSRP of 10-15x markup, then so be it. But at least I reminded the folks on here that even $15 took time and effort to earn from the world, and they're better off using that money on things they can't easily and cheaply be done on their own.
I've had the good fortune to follow Oliver's posts since he started on the forum and I can tell you that few members have been as interesting or entertaining as he has been. I'm fairly certain Oliver is not "on the take" as you imply and it's part of my job to watch for and report such things. I and the other mods regularly catch those who come here just to advertise their products and we delete their posts and often give them a permanent boot off the forum.

Sometimes we try a product that really impresses us and we feel compelled to share with our forum friends. That isn't the same thing as promoting it for profit and I personally welcome honest tool reviews because I just might be interested in that item.

I also don't have a problem with some company offering one of their products for a free giveaway on the forum. The forum sponsors have to make some money to keep the forum alive and we get a chance to win something with odds way better than the lottery, just for participating.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Well, I thank you anyway Oliver. Even if I am one who would likely use Ted Baldwin's ideas, I appreciate the time you put in to letting us know of something that we might not have seen before, and maybe giving someone an idea for making something similar. Many of my jigs etc have come from seeing items manufactured and sold that have been shown on here.

Not sure why anyone would question the integrity of one of the most innovative and prolific posters on this forum. Maybe the questioner isn't aware of Gaffboat's credentials ;)

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
As I said earlier and many other times I don't buy what I can make but in the case of this tool I think I will make an exception. Yes, I can make one but I like the looks of this tool. I don't see any connection to advertising for the supplier and it might might work better than mine. And for only $15.00. Thanks again, Oliver for providing a look at an interesting product and encouraging safety of others.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Thanks for posting Oliver. When I am cutting I am always on high alert, or at least I try to be, because I really like all 10 of my fingers and thumbs. I use pushblocks, sticks, anything that will keep my fingers safe. This looks like something I could definitely use and I appreciate your review and post.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I use home made push sticks on both my router table and my contractors Table saw( oops, a blatant advertisement). They work great for advancing small pieces of wood through the blades, but I have not had real good luck with them on my chop saw and cutting with it on the bias scares the poop out of me. This item interest me. and for 15 dollars, is a very cheap way to save fingers. I could probably build one but think I will order a couple. Thanks Oliver

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Thanks for sharing this Oliver. I buy a lot of small items that I might be able to make, but I have had more money than time, and I prefer to use my time making something for the house or on the honey do lista. I'm headed down to a woodworking shop (60 miles away) this a.m. and tucked a few bucks in my wallet just in case I find a gadget that appeals to me.

I recently bought two HF dust collection units, which are very good, and even better on sale. I posted in part as a heads up about buying a good piece of gear dirt cheap. I like the reviews from reliable folks like Oliver and Mike from the D. Glad to see them.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts

I'm sorry but you are not speaking with my best interests in mind!

I could easily make an item equivalent to this hold down that would work just as well from scrap wood in my shop. But I stay so busy with customer work that time for my personal projects is precious.

Say I use scrap(?) wood from my shop. I take my time to draw the design I will use to build the item so I don't have those oops moments. I take the time to cut the parts, glue-up and install fasteners(use what I have or have to buy new) to reinforce the joints, add a durable finish, then stick the pads on(if I have some or buy new if I don't).

I just wasted scrap wood that I could have used to turn pens or make trim for a box. I just wasted time that I could have used to turn pens, make boxes, inlay cutting boards or do one of my wife's honey-dos. I made at least one trip to the store that wasted time to get hardware and supplies I didn't have on hand and wasted gas for the trip.

If I buy an item at a decent price that can add to the safety in my shop because I have a great review of the item to let me know that it is helpful and well made then I have saved materials and time that I would have wasted by trying to reinvent the wheel.

Thank you Oliver for the great review of this well priced safety item!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts