Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cabinet installation project and need to true up an edge for a spacer. The amount of planing is more than I care to do by hand. So... time to find alternatives.
I have a couple of old Craftsman routers that have been idle for over 20 years. A 315.17431 and a 315.17381. Looking for guidance on getting them usable.
The 431 runs but sounds strained. The manual doesn't have any lubrication recommendations. Suggestions?
The 381 is mounted in a table so will hold until the 431 is checked out.

Thanks for any ideas.

Registered
I have a cabinet installation project and need to true up an edge for a spacer. The amount of planing is more than I care to do by hand. So... time to find alternatives.
I have a couple of old Craftsman routers that have been idle for over 20 years. A 315.17431 and a 315.17381. Looking for guidance on getting them usable.
The 431 runs but sounds strained. The manual doesn't have any lubrication recommendations. Suggestions?
The 381 is mounted in a table so will hold until the 431 is checked out.

Thanks for any ideas.
I can't help you much with the the refurbishment but I would suggest that you concentrate on getting the router in the table working first, so that you can start your project.
I've found that jointing (up to about 2" stock) is so easy on the router table. I also have a 4" jointer which I hardly ever use. I find the router table so much easier to control and I don't have to stoop to use it.
I must admit I've not tried or even considered using a hand-held router for that purpose.

As far as the 'straining' router is concerned, my suggestion would be to remove the armature and brushes and clean the commutator with some rice-paper as well as ensuring the between segment gaps are dust-free. Also make sure that the carbon brushes are in good condition with good spring action, not over-worn and no chips on the contact surface. Most routers seem to have sealed bearings, so I doubt there's a way to lubricate them. Unless they're wrecked, then you'd have to replace them.
I guess it goes without saying that a good blast with an air line would also be a good idea. 馃檪

Registered
Theo
I have 5 old Craftsman routers, the newest is 15 years old or so. All work. But getting parts for one? Invent a time machine and go back 20 years. When the one in my table dies, I'll toss it, and use another. I figure they would not be worth the time searching for a part you will likely never find anyway.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I should have described my project better so I'll try the 1000 word method.

I need to level out the uneven saw cut my original contractor left me on the salvaged cabinet. I want it flush with the side panel before adding the spacer to set the cabinet away from the wall. Hope this explains why the router in the table won't be of much help.
I found a flush trim laminate bit with a ball bearing guide in my bit box.

Wonder if I can use it in several passes as it is only .375 long and my cabinet stile is .75?
Thanks for ideas.

Official Greeter
Ross
Welcome to the forum.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Finished!! Flush trim bit did a great job just a little planing to knock down a tiny ridge between the passes.
Seems the "straining" noise may just be normal. It actually quieted down after some use.
thomas1389
My plane is temporarily out of commission.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts