Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let's see who can answer this riddle first. When and if you get the answer, yest post that you tot it, but don't tell the nswer for now.

There is a man in the jail house. Another man decides to go visit the man that is in the jail house. When he arrives at the jail, the jailer take him back to visit the man in the jail cell. When they get to the jail cell, the jailer asks the visitor if knows the man tht is in the jail cell.

The visiting man says to the jailer, sisters and brothers I have none, but that man's father is my father's son.

Who is the man in the jail.

When this sritten out this way the answer looks much easier that when it is just said, so I expect that it will not be as hare to figure out as I had hoped that it would, but I'll send it anyway just for fun.

Jerry I see that I spelled Riddle wrong, sorry about that, I don't know how to edit the title to a thread. If anybody does, maybe he or she can fix it for this old decrepit man, lthanks.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Got it.

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
It's too early in the day Jerry, my brain hasn't awakened yet!

·
Super Moderator
John
6,840 Posts
I think you also spelled forum wrong!
Yes I know the answer.

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
I think I have it as well.

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
Well, what is the answer?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You folks that have the answer, try asking somebody if they can figure it out without reading the question. As I said, it's pretty obvious when you have it written out, I found that it is more difficult if it just asked verbablly.

As I recall, nobody has even come close to figure out the 12 egg riddle, but in over 50 years I have not found one person yet that can figure it out I must have just gotten lucky when I figured out. It's best brain twister that I have found to date.

Jerry

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Must've missed the egg riffle. Can you poze it again?

·
Registered
384 Posts
this one?
Suppose you have twelve eggs and a balance scale. All of the eggs are identical except for one whose only difference is its weight. Using the scale only three times, determine which egg is the odd egg out and whether it is heavier or lighter than the other eggs.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
this one?
Suppose you have twelve eggs and a balance scale. All of the eggs are identical except for one whose only difference is its weight. Using the scale only three times, determine which egg is the odd egg out and whether it is heavier or lighter than the other eggs.
Thanks for putting the egg riddle back fo rme Everemd. I see that I need to add a bit more to it now, sorry about that.

What you are to figure out is a method by which you can have another person pick an egg and decide if it heavier or lighter than the other eleven. The 12 eggs do all weight the same, that's not the issue. What is needed is way of arranging the eggs on a balance scale so that if the egg that has been picked can be determined using your method.

What I do is tell the person that has picked the egg that he or she whats you to find. Then draw on a piece of paper the balance scale and you tell the that has pick ed the egg which ones to put on the scale. After he does that you will have some information according to what the scale does, then with that information you do the second arrangement of the eggs on the scale by drawing the paper, this gives you more information. Now you have one more try at the scale and with that last or third attmet you will know which egg was picked and if it heavy or light.

For eample, the person picking the egg for you to find may pick number six and that is light. You can find it with the method of weighing the eggs that you have figured out. Finding the method is the riddle, it can be done, I assure you.

I hope that this helps in understanding,

Jerry

·
Registered
519 Posts
What you are to figure out is a method by which you can have another person pick an egg and decide if it heavier or lighter than the other eleven. The 12 eggs do all weight the same, that's not the issue. What is needed is way of arranging the eggs on a balance scale so that if the egg that has been picked can be determined using your method.

I hope that this helps in understanding,

Jerry
I am confused. If all the eggs weight the same how can you determine heavier or lighter?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am confused. If all the eggs weight the same how can you determine heavier or lighter?
Al,

This riddle is not only a difficult one, explaining it on the forum is more difficult that if would be if I were face to face with you. Perhaps if I say that the eggs are just imagery ones would help.

Let's suppose that I were face to face with you Al and I said, "Imagine that you have 12 eggs, physically that look to all be exactly alike. Now imagine that one of them is his not of the same weight as the other eleven, you, in your mind decide which one you want to be the egg that is different and whether it is heavy or light. Don't tell me which egg it is.

At that point I would draw a balance scale on a piece of paper and arrange the eggs or part of the eggs on the balance scale according to the the method that I had figured out. Once done I would ask you if the scales balanced, or if the right side went up or down. Once you told me, I'd rearrange the eggs for the second weighing and on paper and ask again what the scales do. The information that I get from the first two weighing would tell what with last weighing and I would know the answer.

When the time right and you give up, I think that I can do the deal via PM, but let's give you some more time to chew on it. As I have said before, nobody has been able to figure it out in over fifty years. I have no idea how many people I have proposed the riddle to, Again, I can assure you that the method used to find the egg is faily simple, but you do have to llthink.

Hope this helps, I happy that you are working on it, most people just give up early as they have better things to do, you have to be rather analytical to want to spend time working on the answer. You should be able to figure it our in your head if you hve the abiity to visualize things in your head.

Jerry

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
OK, I think I have egg weight the answer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts