Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking my cabinet installer/finisher on a little road trip starting tomorrow 10-15-2017.

The first part of the trip is Morgan City, Louisiana to attend the funeral of my wife's aunt. Then we will be off and running towards Tulsa, Oklahoma to visit with the kids (and grandkids) for a few days. Our return may include a stop in Lubbock to visit my wife's sister.

So we are combining a sad event with a grand event. Our 30 year anniversary is in two weeks so we are going to celebrate it on the road with kin folks.

I will check in ever so often to see if you guys are behaving. :grin::grin::grin:

@Gaffboat - Oliver, are you in this neck of the woods?

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Condolences for your wife's aunt. Have a safe trip and enjoy the kids & grandkids.

Reactions: MT Stringer

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss. The rest of the trip sounds like fun. Enjoy it.

Reactions: MT Stringer

·
Super Moderator
David
3,567 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss, Mike (and Pat). If y'all are traveling up I-49 when you head north y'all can stop by our place again - we'd love to see y'all and visit for a minute if you have time.

David

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss.
Used to live in LA. Get some crawfish etoufee while there.
Tulsa-make it a point to visit the Reconciliation Park across from the Tulsa Drillers ball park. Also, visit the center that is themed around that racial conflict there. Many people don't know that the African-American community in Tulsa was known as the Wall Street of the West. Well worth the time to see them and contemplate that part of history.

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,191 Posts

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Condolences on the loss and congratulations on a great road trip and anniversary.

Give my regards to Lubbock.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Forgot and it happens frequently at my age. Go north to Bartlesville, OK and look at the old oil well there in a park. Visit the Phillips home and the petroleum museum. Well worth the time. The museum has a vault with all the patents held by Phillips Petroleum- over 40,000!

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Sorry for your families loss Mike. I hope the rest of the trip is enjoyable.

·
Premium Member
19,219 Posts
Condolences on the loss. Hope your wife is handling it well. The trip sounds like a great way to spend some time together without having to hoist cabinets.

·
Official Greeter
18,742 Posts
Trust you have a great trip, Mike.....and keep away from all that fried Tex food....LOL.....

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Hey Mike, you were about an hour and a half from me, when you were in Morgan City. Matter of fact, I went through Morgan City yesterday (17th) to get to Lafayette to work. Hope you all are having a good trip, besides the funeral. Had to go to an Uncle's, last week.

·
Super Moderator
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hey Mike, you were about an hour and a half from me, when you were in Morgan City. Matter of fact, I went through Morgan City yesterday (17th) to get to Lafayette to work. Hope you all are having a good trip, besides the funeral. Had to go to an Uncle's, last week.
1045 miles later and we have arrived at our kids home in the Tulsa area (Owasso, OK.).

Houston to Morgan City, then on to Napoleanville for the funeral. Wow, what a beautiful church. Saint Elizabeth Catholic Church. Est. 1840

Then we were off headed north. Spent the night in Alexandria, LA. Tuesday morning, we motored on to Bossier City, where we dropped in to see what David Falkner was up to. Yep, hard at work taking a break! :grin::grin::grin:

After a quick stop at Bergeron's Meat Mkt (and a $110 lighter), we hit the road for Tulsa. We arrived last night at 9PM. All totaled, we traversed four states yesterday (LA, Arkansas, Texas and finally Oklahoma). 'Course some of that traveling was just a corner or two near Texarkana.

I was getting desperate for a pea break. We went through numerous small towns in succession where there was not a McDonalds or Burner King or anything where we could stop. :surprise::frown:

However, saying all that, we did see a lot of new countryside including sugar cane fields galore in south LA, and cotton fields in the northern part. And I didn't take a single picture! Some photographer, huh?

·
Super Moderator
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good food & free beer??Where is this place???
Hurry James or you will miss out! :grin:
https://tulsaoktoberfest.org/

Full disclaimer: It was corporate night. :grin: Our son-in-law works for a refinery that had reserved seating in the tent pictured. The mugs were free and came with a drink ticket good for one 32 ounce drink! ...and food tickets galore!

Fortunately, we got there early, good parking close to the event, and the crowd was light. But as we were leaving, the throng of humanity was pouring in through the gates. Good timing on our part, indeed.

·
Super Moderator
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Getting vershcnicken on one beer?
Our grand daughter called her dad and said they were at the urgent care with great-grand son so we left early. Still had fun while we were there...and he is just fine.

Today he was supervising while we were cooking burgers on the pit.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1675 miles later, we pulled into our driveway last night at 10PM. It was a long drive, but a good one. I can personally attest that I have seen your tax dollars at work! There was road construction on just about every road I drove down on this trip...and in every state (Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Oklahoma).

It's good to be home. We are planning to have a party on the patio this coming weekend, but the weather may not cooperate. Could be a wet one...and cold also. Well, around here 40 deg F is cold to me.

Thanks for following us on our trip. We did get to see a lot of the landscape that we have not seen before. Yesterday on our trip home, we saw a bunch of horses...at least 30...out in a pasture all gathered around each other. My wife said "it looks like they are having a meeting!". Ha ha, it did. They were all facing inward like the guy in the middle was giving orders! Horse team building!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts