Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer I scored a very old piece of Rosewood 1" X 6" X 7' long, at an estate sale. No price posted so I offered $35.00 and the deal was done. In Nov. I started thinking about Christmas presents for my Dear Lady. SO, I decided to do a jewellery box for her. I am used to working with hardwoods most of the time, but I was amazed and delighted with this piece of Rosewood. My tools love the stuff and it finishes like a dream to a beautiful hard smooth surface, not open and porous like red oak. This wood is so heavy and dense, it rings slightly like a bell when doors close. The gain is very course and spectacular when oiled. Only thing I didn't like: all the slivers. Each sliver feels like a rose thorn stabbing you. This jewellery box measures 13" tall by 10" wide by 6" front to back. I did a lift off lid with a 1/2" lip, but added hinges on the back. This way the lid keeps the doors closed. I drilled 2 holes in the front lid edge to insert a hidden lock ( two dowels in a foe handle). The three drawers are simply made with rebated joints and 5 min epoxy. Box corner joints are done with a 45% lock miter bit on my RT and again I used 5 min. epoxy glue. I was running short of rosewood so I finished off the bottom with mouldings and a secondary wood for the bottom plate since it will be covered with a felt liner as will the inside of the drawers, 8" X 3" X 2" deep. I sanded all surfaces down to 240 Grit and finished with Teak Oil. I always try to make my pieces look as though they might be from an era gone by. I love making furniture and small boxes. I'm always open to learning some new tricks, so comments and suggestions are welcome and questions welcome too.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Nicely done Reg.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
oh the character...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Beautiful work. I can't let my wife see this because she has been after me to build one for her :). So to unlock the secret lock you pull the handle out?

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
That is absolutely beautiful! Wonderful job!

Reactions: bcfunburst

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Beautiful work. I can't let my wife see this because she has been after me to build one for her :). So to unlock the secret lock you pull the handle out?
Thanks for looking in everyone. I appreciate so many complements. Yes; simply pull out little handle to lift the top and open the doors. There is space behind the drawers for the chains to hang. The pegs are rosewood too; for holding rings or chains. I had a local glass shop do the mirror in the lid for me.
Happy New Year to ALL!!

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Wow! That Rosewood is gorgeous!!

Great choice with the high gloss finish, Reg. I think it wouldn't have the same wow factor with a less glossy finish.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow! That Rosewood is gorgeous!!

Great choice with the high gloss finish, Reg. I think it wouldn't have the same wow factor with a less glossy finish.
Thanks Dan. I have taken a special liking to using Teak Oil on most of my small projects. It is very easy to prep for & work with and so easy for clean-up after. Drying time is very slow, but I have more time than anything else!! I usually wind up using about 5 coats to get a satisfactory result, which means a high gloss. That suits me just fine. Bye the way; My Lady was blown away with this gift and it's not yet finished. Felt linings yet to do and another final coat of oil.

·
Registered
Paul
1,863 Posts
Nice job Reg. For some reason the pics make it look much larger, especially the shop pics.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Hi, Reg.
This will serves me as inspiration for the same purposes since my wife has asked for a box for her wrist watches. Hope you don´t mind.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts