Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone wants a rotary planer but has put it off due to the crazy stupid prices these units have been going for on Ebay, things have gotten better, much better. Woodworkers Supply has found a manufacturer and is now offering the complete units (both for DP & RA), with accesories, for under $35.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Another option is to build a router ski jig. Even this small ski jig will give you great results quickly.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
Can't seem to find that item on their website. Gotta link?

If anyone wants a rotary planer but has put it off due to the crazy stupid prices these units have been going for on Ebay, things have gotten better, much better. Woodworkers Supply has found a manufacturer and is now offering the complete units (both for DP & RA), with accesories, for under $35.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Mike. Excuse my ignorance but what is the ski jig used for? I have search the site and found a number of plans and discussion around ski jigs but I was unable to find a simple explanation and examples of use...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Besides using one for surface planing a board it allows you to rout the entire face of a board, as in making a picture frame. The back side stays flat against your table. Something like a picture frame would be impractical and even unsafe on a router table because as you make profiles the board becomes unstable.

A horizontally mounted router can be very handy for the same reasons.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
I can think of few things that should screw up the bearings on your drill press as well as trying to surface plane with it. Drill press machines are not designed to withstand side ways pressure.

Rick, as mentioned surface planing a board is one example of a job the ski jig excells at. Working with guide bushings and templates or freehand for signmaking you will have a great deal more control with less effort. Plunge routers are by far the best choice for a ski jig but this little jig was designed for Neil in SF to be able to surface plane boards with his router.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry I've been so slow in responding, I've been gone. If you still need it you will find the drill press planer @ <http://woodworker.com/search.asp?search=drill+press+planer>. Again, I apologize for being so slow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts