Router Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Roughneck 4# hammer that's got a fiberglass handle marker Olympia 65-164 - lifetime warranty. The handle came off the head. I can't find anything on Olympia tools that even comes close. It's a few years + old. Was going to pitch it, but figured might be worth trying to get it replaced. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
John I will be 75 years old in June and a life time warranty doesn't mean as much as it use to. Maybe Olympia tools are old also or even passed on.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
epoxy it back together...
clean, dimple or rib both surfaces horizontally for better adhesion....

Reactions: Danman1957

·
Registered
Theo
6,930 Posts
The company is still in business. Olympia Tools
To me it is simple, get up with the company.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
for the 50¢ to and 10~15 minuets to fix it... wouldn't this be the better easier faster way...

Reactions: Shop guy

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd fix it if the repair would hold. I did some serious pounding over the years with this baby.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Any way to cut a slot in the head for a wedge, then epoxy as per Stick, then drive in the wedge?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I'd fix it if the repair would hold. I did some serious pounding over the years with this baby.
use the high impact never gets hard/brittle epoxy/hot melt the golf shops use...
Epoweld is what I think it is called... read the specs for the right one...
Masterbond makes a polymer that is some serious stuff but the price will hurt your brain...
you are looking for Vibration, Impact and Shock Resistant Adhesives/epoxies/polymers...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Buying the epoxy could more than the cost of a new hammer. Some of those tools can be converted to wooden handle but not all. Some don't have a tapered socket which is necessary for a wooden handle, and the new wooden handle could cost as much as a new tool. I sent my wife looking for a handle for my pickeroon and none fit and the closest ones (single bit ax handles) were $25.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
John just search fiberglass replacement hammer handles.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
may try the epoxy thing. The handle is good, just came out. Would cost more to send it back than I paid for it - - which was probably $12-15 at the time.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I replace a 12# sledge handle several years ago with a fiberglass handle. If I recall correctly I bought the handle at the local BORG, and it included the epoxy. I believe they had the epoxy kits there, also.

The repair has lasted for over 20 years with no problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts