Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

I just signed up to this forum and had a peruse. Great stuff.
I do have a question though. How do you route a sandwich of MDF over a large radius/diameter.
I have included some pictures of a desk I have which I would like to replicate but this technique is foreign to me. Any suggestions?
Best wishes from London

Guus

Attachments

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hi gm4k:

Welcome to the Router Forums!!

It would help to know what radius dimension you are talking about. The photos don't tell us the radius.

Something like this could be done with a corner-round bit of the correct bit size. Two passes -- one per side.

Cassandra

http://www.toolstoday.com/t-routerbitglossary.aspx

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Hi Guus and welcome

To rout a bullnose like that I know 3 ways of doing it. First if it is a small enough diameter (up to 5/8in or 16mm) then it is possible to do it in a single pass with a cutter like these and a deep wooden fence on the router. Problem is that they only go up to 1-1/4in or 32mm thick. Thicker that that and you need to go to a round-over bit with a bearing. George Tsu does these up to 1-1/2in radius, but they are extremely large cutters, so not to be used without circumspection. The bearing will allow you to make the first cut, but for the second you'll need to use a fence because running against the bearing will introduce a step into the profile on true bull noses. The third approach, used on solid surface cutters, is to make the cut using a cutter with a special radiused bearing such as these (look for "Corner rounding bits w/radius bearing, 2-flutes") which means that you can dispense with the fence

A note of caution: ALL of the above cutters are very large. they require a router with a speed adjustment capable of running them at about 8,000 rpm. On safety grounds I'd advise that the router be wired through a DoL (magnetic) starter so that it can be killed instantly should a problem occur. Finally if at all possible these cutters should be used with the router mounted in a table - freehand use is hazardous and requires an extra deep sub base to be installed on the router and a special fence plate to be made-up as the cutters are too big for the openings in the base of the router and the fence

Regards

Phil

BTW which London are you from?

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
HI

A good one for that job is the one below :)
One bit at the right price that can do many,many jobs.

1 PC 1/2" SH Double Corner Round Assembly Router Bit | eBay

==========
Dear all,

I just signed up to this forum and had a peruse. Great stuff.
I do have a question though. How do you route a sandwich of MDF over a large radius/diameter.
I have included some pictures of a desk I have which I would like to replicate but this technique is foreign to me. Any suggestions?
Best wishes from London

Guus

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Guus and welcome

A note of caution: ALL of the above cutters are very large. they require a router with a speed adjustment capable of running them at about 8,000 rpm. On safety grounds I'd advise that the router be wired through a DoL (magnetic) starter so that it can be killed instantly should a problem occur. Finally if at all possible these cutters should be used with the router mounted in a table - freehand use is hazardous and requires an extra deep sub base to be installed on the router and a special fence plate to be made-up as the cutters are too big for the openings in the base of the router and the fence
so you'll need to ensure that the cutter

Regards

Phil

BTW which Londion are you from?

Thank Phil! You guys are quick :no:

The diameter is actually 81mm. A sandwich of 4x 18mm + 9mm.
I realise that the router bit is rather large, after you pointing out the method above. It is probably something I need to find a workshop to do it for me. A shame, cause it like routing!

With regards to London...the only true london ;)..in the UK!!

Best wishes,

Guus

1 - 5 of 5 Posts