Router Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i will do my best explaining, I need to get a perfectly rounded end on a 2x4. is there a better way to do it than with a jigsaw? the jigsaw cut are not coming out perfect enough and are to hard. thanks. here a drawing of what i need.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
you say end...
is it really the edge and do you want a round over the the full thickness of the 2by???
how large is the piece??

at a guess from what you show/say you want a 1½'' radius router bit...
do you have a router??

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I think I am starting to understand what you are saying. you mean I should route it from the top and let the router make the curve? that is brilliant! is that what you mean?
yup...
the bit looks like this....

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
now we need more information as in details in order to help you proceed safely...

how long are the pieces???

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
I would likely cut it a tad oversize, then sand it to final shape.

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
no the width. the 2x4 is about 3 feet long but I need just that end to be rounded. i will add dimensions to the image. this is an image of the side of the 2x4.
One last question...
Is this for one board or many?

I have done round overs like this by cutting with a jig saw first, then sanding smooth with a ROS. For a more heavy duty sanding job, a hand held belt sander and your skill at using it should be good enough. :grin:

In my case, I rounded the corners of the table top (see pictures). Similar but not exactly the same but you get the idea. Cut it close first, then sand smooth to the line.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
so according to what I am understanding I will need a 3½ inch radius bit, correct? does that even exist?
correct..
the bit, actually a cutter, does exist but that will take a shaper to turn it... not a router..
what you are showing is the face of the 2by and the ends...
the edge is 1½'' thick...

rough cut it to size and sand to final...
an ROS will do it...
as well as a disk, belt or drum sander...
a disk sander will do the best job..
2nd choice is the belt sander...
make the tool stationary and move/rotate the wood over the sanding surface...
all w/ a little practice you'll get what you are looking for...

·
Registered
83 Posts
This is a job for a bandsaw (or a jig saw) and a disk or belt sander. You will NOT get a round-over bit with a radius of 3-1/2": that's a bit with a diameter of over 7". Instead of sanding you could pattern rout it. You would need a 1/2" collet router and a flush-trim bit with a cutting edge of 2". If the 4x2 is in fact only 3-1/2 x 1-1/2 you could do it in two passes: the first with the pattern and a pattern (shank-mounted bearing) bit with a 1" cutting edge and a second pass (from the opposite face) with a flush-trim bit.

Denis Lock - "Routing with Denis"

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: subtleaccents
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.