Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm building a DVD shelf, and I was originally planning to do stopped dados, but decided to just do through dados for my first project.

I was planning on running a round over bit over the entire front face of the shelves...but I was thinking...is this a good idea with through dados? Should I just leave the shelves/sides squared? I was planning on routing this out BEFORE assembly because I don't want to screw it up then have to trash a glued up shelf.

So I guess I can't do the roundover before assembly...and I guess I'm asking if I should even do it at all since I'm using through dados for the shelves.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Hello,

I'm building a DVD shelf, and I was originally planning to do stopped dados, but decided to just do through dados for my first project.

I was planning on running a round over bit over the entire front face of the shelves...but I was thinking...is this a good idea with through dados? Should I just leave the shelves/sides squared? I was planning on routing this out BEFORE assembly because I don't want to screw it up then have to trash a glued up shelf.

So I guess I can't do the roundover before assembly...and I guess I'm asking if I should even do it at all since I'm using through dados for the shelves.

Thanks!
Hi Ben - I'm not sure I understand your concern?:confused:
Tearout from the dados?
Personally, I like the softer look and feel of the eased edges. I have been doing the roundover sometime after the dado and before glueup.
Trying to roundover after assembly, IMHO, is just opening up a bag of cats.:wacko:

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Ben

Stick with the blind (stop) dado's it takes a bit more work but they will look great, the trick is to hide all you can and by using through dado they will stick out like a sore thumb and that's the 1st thing that will cache the eye..

You may want to check out the DVD storage case that Bob and Rick came up with just for kicks..

http://www.woodworkingchannel.com/dolphin/vidego_video_library.php

=======
=======

Hello,

Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ Too late! I already cut the through dados. I'm painting this black anyways, so most of it will be barely visible.

Anyway, I guess my main concern is that if I do the round over, will it look stupid with the through dados. The dados themselves now match up nice and with some sanding I'm assuming they will be barely visible. But If I do a roundover all the way around, will there be 'dips' where the dados meet the shelves? Know what I mean?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps I could do a roundover on the shelves, and stop 1/4" short of each end...allowing for the 1/4" dado??

I'm a total noob so...that's why I'm asking these questions :)

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
^ Too late! I already cut the through dados. I'm painting this black anyways, so most of it will be barely visible.

Anyway, I guess my main concern is that if I do the round over, will it look stupid with the through dados. The dados themselves now match up nice and with some sanding I'm assuming they will be barely visible. But If I do a roundover all the way around, will there be 'dips' where the dados meet the shelves? Know what I mean?
If it's going to be painted anyway, a bit of filler would likely end the visibility issue. Roundover may give you a bit of a dip. If both the shelves and sides are rounded they would be minimized considerably. Also, depends on the size of roundover you use. 1/8" r would be significantly less noticable than with a 1/4" r.
Good luck with whatever you decide on. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks for the help.

I may just assemble and sand for a little roundover. It's pine, so I'll be able to sand it pretty easily...we'll see. Won't get my clamps till tomorrow anyway, so I have some time to think on it :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts