Router Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm trying to match the roundover on a baseboard from my old Victorian house. I'm not well-versed in router bit profiles and what I think I'm looking for I've not seen anywhere. Essentially, the profile looks like a roundover, but it's eccentric. Basically, it forms a complex curve where the starting radius is 5/8" and the ending radius is about 13/16". I don't intend to match it exactly, but I can't find anything that might qualify as a round-over with an eccentric / variable radius of any size.

Can anyone suggest what sort of bit profile I might need to accomplish this?

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
6,932 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
It looks to me that the radius may be uniform but there is a flat on the bottom of it past the radius. An ovolo bit like this one can cut that but you might need a straight bit to lengthen the flat part on a second cut. https://www.jccayer.com/1-4-radius-...MI-6z09p-i2QIVh15-Ch0JQg2tEAQYBSABEgI__fD_BwE Ovolo bits come in a variety of sizes. You'll either need to use it in a table with fence or use an edge guide with the router.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
I would have thought that the bit suggested by Tom is as close as you're likely to find.
The roundover bit shown but with a smaller bearing (readily available) really as good as it gets and is available in several radii.

Attachments

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
944 Posts
Hey Chuck,
Thanks for posting that bit from J.C. Cayer, they are located less than an hour from me and have all these wonderful tools. I looked through a couple of tools like routers and dust collection and saw both my King router and my King D/C.
I go to Ottawa regularly for business and I will be stopping there for it's on my way. I saw the Bosch and Hitachi routers also. I didn't know about this place, thanks.
Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Yup; I just bought my Bosch plunge base from them. My only caution is that a lot of the catalogue items adon't seem to actually be stocked(?)...they bring it in as they're ordered, or something.
Online Supply does something similar; doesn't really slow the mailorder process down it seems.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,350 Posts
Welcome to the forum Joel.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hey Chuck,
Thanks for posting that bit from J.C. Cayer, they are located less than an hour from me and have all these wonderful tools. I looked through a couple of tools like routers and dust collection and saw both my King router and my King D/C.
I go to Ottawa regularly for business and I will be stopping there for it's on my way. I saw the Bosch and Hitachi routers also. I didn't know about this place, thanks.
Cheers,
Dan
It was a lucky accident then Dan. I searched for an ovolo bit and clicked the first one that looked good. Their prices look pretty decent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I got busy and forgot about this thread until I got an email reminder - I had assumed no one replied... :)
@Danman1957, I hadn't considered a moulding plane, although I do have a pretty complex profile for the casing trim pieces that go around the windows and doors that I'll need to reproduce somehow. Fortunately, I happened to purchase an old Belsaw planer several years ago. A little investigation reveals that the original company still exists and apparently will make custom knives. A set of those for my trim and I should be good for life. :)

To the topic at hand, however, I'll probably rip an 1/8" from the face of the board rather than use a straight bit - I have a small, cheap router table and it's a bear trying to keep control of a large, long piece of wood in that. A careful setup and a single pass on the table saw will handle that flat spot much better, I think.

Otherwise, per the other comments, it looks like I'll just get a 5/8" roundover and make it work. So long as the shoulders are aligned and the roundover profiles are reasonably close to make the coping work, I'll be satisfied.

Thanks!

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
There's always someone who replies Joel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts