Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21,658 Posts
i henrysmith382 Glad you joined the fun.

The 618 is about double the horsepower, vs the 611. The 611 only accepts quarter inch shank bits, the 618 takes both 1/4 and 1/2 shanks. This is important for table routing. Working with the router in a table is FAR safer than working freehand. I don't know of any simple way to mount a 611 in a table, although I imagine it could be done. It just doesn't have the power the 618 has for table use.

The 611 is really nice for small tasks, for example, cutting a shallow mortise for a hinge, or rounding over an already assembled project.

I prefer the Bosch 1617 to the DeWalt because the Bosch has a micro adjustment with no play, vs the DeWalt's big thread. There are all kinds of router mounts that allow you to adjust bit height, but Bosch makes a simple little base for about $60 that works fine.

But there are a lot of people here who like the 618 just fine. The one thing I do like is the DeWalt is low slung, not top heavy, which for freehand use is very nice. I got the Bosch after finding the DeWalt on display had been broken, which shouldn't happen in my estimation. There seemed to be a lot of play on the height adjustment on other DeWalts I've tried.

Many of us have both a half inch shank and a small, "trim" router. But with only one router in the shop, get the half inch collet model of whatever brand you get. My quarter's worth on that.

·
Official Greeter
19,736 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i henrysmith382 Glad you joined the fun.

The 618 is about double the horsepower, vs the 611. The 611 only accepts quarter inch shank bits, the 618 takes both 1/4 and 1/2 shanks. This is important for table routing. Working with the router in a table is FAR safer than working freehand. I don't know of any simple way to mount a 611 in a table, although I imagine it could be done. It just doesn't have the power the 618 has for table use.

The 611 is really nice for small tasks, for example, cutting a shallow mortise for a hinge, or rounding over an already assembled project.

I prefer the Bosch 1617 to the DeWalt because the Bosch has a micro adjustment with no play, vs the DeWalt's big thread. There are all kinds of router mounts that allow you to adjust bit height, but Bosch makes a simple little base for about $60 that works fine.

But there are a lot of people here who like the 618 just fine. The one thing I do like is the DeWalt is low slung, not top heavy, which for freehand use is very nice. I got the Bosch after finding the DeWalt on display had been broken, which shouldn't happen in my estimation. There seemed to be a lot of play on the height adjustment on other DeWalts I've tried.

Many of us have both a half inch shank and a small, "trim" router. But with only one router in the shop, get the half inch collet model of whatever brand you get. My quarter's worth on that.
Thanks a lot for detailed and solid advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts