Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a straight bit and need to make some segmented pen blanks. Wood will be running length-ways. Wanting to take two pieces of wood, smooth one side each for gluing. Take another piece of wood and smooth both sides for gluing. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
How big are the pieces???

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I agree with Scap about the method but because the pieces are so small and short if you don't use a pusher jig to feed it then it's just a matter of time before you lose fingertips. The pusher needs to sit on top as well as having a side that will hold the piece down and against the fence.

·
Registered
305 Posts
If at all possible user longer lengths of wood. As stated above you are asking for trouble with short pieces. I have an Incra Positioner with the Wonder Fence. This makes jointing easy. You have to shim your fence on the outfeed side and you can get very good results. That requires a split fence. The router runs at a higher speed than a jointer and you get a very smooth surface.

Use wider boards and then after jointing cut them down with a table saw and/or bandsaw. Then glue them up. Always user longer lengths than you need if at all possible. Having just enough material usually ends up with out enough. If you make any mistake your project can be ruined.

If you have already cut the blanks to pen length then use a jig to hold the pieces when routing/jointing. DO NOT get your fingers close to the blade by free hand pushing the blanks through the router. If you lose your grip on the pieces your tendency is to grab and hold and that puts your finger right into the bit.

Your project is important but your safety is more important.

·
Registered
21,693 Posts
Push blocks are essential for all the reasons given. For small pieces, you must trap the workpiece against the fence, down onto the table, and with a tab at the rear to push the piece forward. The tab will almost certainly be sacrificed. Before you start, try to visualize how the push block will move, then rehearse it with the router off. If anything goes wrong, get your hands out of there! Don't grab at it, let it go.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: Danman1957

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DRT, learned that years ago. Being around manufacturing for over 30 years has caused me to develop an allergy in my fingers regarding sharp things. Seen too many guys lose fingers, hands, etc. in machinery and hydraulic presses. Pen blanks will be small- understand what many of your are saying. Might make some sort of jig or sled for this. Hand plane wouldn't be used enough to warrant buying one. Jointer isn't in the budget or have the space for it. Crowded with the router table and TS in the shop.
If I win the lottery, I'll just hire someone to do my WWing for me. Sit back with a cup of coffee and watch them.:smile:

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DRT, learned that years ago. Being around manufacturing for over 30 years has caused me to develop an allergy in my fingers regarding sharp things. Seen too many guys lose fingers, hands, etc. in machinery and hydraulic presses. Pen blanks will be small- understand what many of you are saying. Might make some sort of jig or sled for this. Hand plane wouldn't be used enough to warrant buying one. Jointer isn't in the budget or have the space for it. Crowded with the router table and TS in the shop. Will lt you know what I come up with here.
If I win the lottery, I'll just hire someone to do my WWing for me. Sit back with a cup of coffee and watch them.:smile:

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
I've only made one laminated pen and it was soon after a late member talked me into buying a lathe. The mating edges were touched up on the linisher (belt sander)

Attachments

Reactions: TenGees
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.