Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings members!

I'll get right to the point. I recently inherited a Black & Decker router 7612 type 1 from my Dad and I've never used one before. There are a few router tips in the case but no manual and I haven't been able to find one online. It's in really good condition as I don't believe my Dad used it much.

Does anyone have any tips for me to get started using it?

Thank you in advance!
~M

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
welcome Michele...
there are some PDF's here that may help...
before you get routered up see the SAFETY PDF's 1st...
PLEASE take the time to read them.. Your health, welfare and safety matter here...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
The manual won't help you much Michele as far as how to use the router to do various jobs. Read Stick's PDFs and ask questions when one arises. We are a very friendly bunch here.

·
Registered
22,219 Posts
Do check out Stick's posts. Lots of important informaiton for anyone new to routers.

To start with, you will want to check the router to see if you have collet nuts, which screw onto the router's shaft and when tightened, hold the bit in place. If you don't find it or them, you can't use the router until you find or buy them. Some older routers of that brand are very hard to find parts for, so that's your first task. If you only have one collet, you'll be limited to either that size shank bits, until you order and buy both sizes. Hopefully, your dad kept these around.

It's likely you'll be nervous when using the router, that's as it should be. You want to keep control because the bit is spinning around 20,000 rpm and can skin a section of your leg or whatever it hits before you can react. So I suggest you watch videos of using a router on YouTube, and see if you can find a book on routing for some guidance. You can find used books on using the router on Amazon. Don't mean to scare you off, just to treat the tool with great respect, like any power tool, it does great work, but spinning blades and bits demand cautious use.

A good place to start is making roundovers on sharp edged boards. These are done with a roundover bit. Almost all of us use these and have a set on hand. Sets usually include a 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 inch roundover bit. How you use them depends on what kind of base you have on the router. A fixed base is pretty common, but you could also have a plunge base. You press on the handles on a plunge base to lower the bit into your work piece. Or you can lock the plunge base and use it as if it were a fixed base. That's enough to start with.

The router is a really versatile tool and you can do amazing things with it. And you can count on guidance from the folks here.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Hey, Michele; welcome!
From what I can see online there's more than one type in the 7612. Is yours a Type 1?
It looks like a 1/4" shank size(?)...
Can you maybe either take a pic of the specification plate on the router, or just take a pic of the router itself?
You can post pics etc that are on your own hardrive, just not stuff from the 'net (until you've made 10 posts...it's an anti spam thing).
You'll see sizes being tossed around here, mostly they refer to the cutting profile of the bit, but the subject of shank size is also important... that's the straight rod part that fits into the collet (the chuck) of your router.
Here in N. America the two most common shank sizes are 1/4" and 1/2". That's why we use 'shorthand' and call them 1/2" or 1/4" routers.
It's probably fair to say that most 1/2" routers can also use 1/4" shank bits, by switching to an accessory collet, but the reverse isn't true. 1/4" is 1/4"

I saw a reference to the HP rating of yours as being 1/2HP? Is that true?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Welcome Michelle,

I have been using a router like yours for years. It is not the best but fine for a beginner. Don't be afraid of the tool, it is loud and you MUST read how to use it first. If you follow the safety guidelines, you will surely enjoy creating beautiful pieces from any type of wood you like.

Cheers,
Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.