Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I am new to woodworking and have just acquired a router table.

I am still experimenting with it and have found that I have difficulty in setting exact (mm range) router bit depth/height, e.g. say, cutting a 5mm deep dado).
Could someone please inform me about ready made (but not prohibitively costly) router bit depth/height setting gadgets available on the market?
Of course, I would also be interested in any DIY information.

Thanks for your help in advance
Regards
starter99

·
Registered
259 Posts
Depending on your set up, you probably have depth adjustment on your router. Take a good look around the body of your router. I'm not sure if you're using a plunge or fixed base. Either one has built in adjustment. My Bosch 1617 is accurate to 1/64 of an inch (~0.4mm).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Co-Woodworkers,
Thanks to all of you for very fast and informative response.
I think I 'll go for the digital version offered by Sauter. The price is very reasonable, and the tool seems to be easy to use.
I have caliper but depending upon the bit diameter and the form of the blade I didn't feel comfortable with the measurement accuracy. Also, although the router has a scale for height adjustment but since the router is fixed under the table top it is rather tedious to adjust the height with caliper.
Thanks again for yr. help
Regards
starter99

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Brass set up bars work just fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
"Of course, I would also be interested in any DIY information."
No way to predict the x & y of a cut on your sample by the position of the cutter!
Measure the work, not the cutter height.
The cutter dynamics, feed rate, relative waste/rev., properties of the work, sharpness of cutter and so on, determine the practical depth of cut.
Learn how to measure the work; that does, usually, require a mike or caliper.
Metro tools in pix 5.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts