Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was running some stock through my table router the other day and all of a sudden it got harder so I stopped the router and pulled the material out. I found that my router bit had been slowly coming up (coming out of the collet). I retighten the bit and started again to the same avail. I then tried a new bit and it did the same. Do I now have to replace my whole router, the collet, ???

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Don't see why you'd have to replace the whole router if everything else seems OK. Are you sure it's the bit moving or is the depth setting slipping? If the bit itself is slipping, clean the inside of the collett well - may just be sawdust keeping it from tightening up firmly on the bit - also wondering how much material you're trying to cut in one pass. You might want to back off and give it another try. At any rate, you should be able to replace the collett without a big cash outlay. Couple of thoughts off the cuff anyway.

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
Butch, something else. Make sure you are not bottoming out the bit in the router. Sometimes , if you bottom out the bit, it will seem tight, but when you start to cut it will loosen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.