Router Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
"You never regret buying the best quality." I dont know who first said it but aint it the truth? Regardless of which cutting tools you buy, keeping them sharp is key to getting good results. Make sure you have a case or at least a piece of wood drilled for them to stand securely in. If you get a nick or a dull edge find a local machinist or service to sharpen them. An imbalanced bit is dangerous! Dont stand your router on the cutting edge of your bits. It may be common sense but it bears repeating. Safety first!

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
I would be happy if my family bought me even cheap bits! (My sock drawer is overflowing) Keep an eye on the sales. All the sites run good specials from time to time. Woodcraft features a different Whiteside bit each month for 25% off. Wherever possible I buy 1/2" shank bits. It makes sense to me that having a beefier shank should provide more support and less vibration to the cutting edges.

Mike

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
The only advantage is they fit all the routers on the market. Many brands only offered routers with 1/4" shanks for a long time. As long as you are using a decent quality bit you are good to go. Stay away from the "Unbelieveable bargain" bits. You get what you pay for.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.