Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, All!

I have finally finished my bench/workshop and have received my first set of bits for my new router. Problem is, I have a Dewalt 616 router with a speed of 24,500 RPM and bits that should be run at 12,000-13,000 RPM. Seeing that I'm using a pin router and I'm working on small items this creates a small problem. Namely, A 200 pound gorilla couldn't hold onto a part while feeding it into that thing. (Note, that I don't work with wood but rather with acetate so there is almost no load on the router)

So, are there suggestions on external router speed controllers?

Thank you all in advance.

Kevin

PS. if you ever find a better pin arm than the "Daisy", drop me a line. The slop in this thing is crazy.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I'm pretty sure Rockler sells them and I'm also sure there are other sources. Make sure it's rated for the load the router will put on it. They aren't supposed to be used with speed controllers and possibly soft start but the instructions for one should specify.

Are you using the correct bits for plastic? They should have an O shaped gullet in the cutter. Also a jig for holding the parts if possible might help.

Reactions: Danman1957

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely using the correct bits for acetate. In February I went to France to take a course in eyeglass making. They in turn gave me the name and item numbers for the bits I was trained with.
Biggest concern is the equipment I was trained on is not available in the US.

I'll check out Rockler and see what they have.

Thank you.

Kevin

·
Registered
577 Posts
Harbor Freight has a pretty good one at a very decent price. I like mine.

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Hello, All!

I have finally finished my bench/workshop and have received my first set of bits for my new router. Problem is, I have a Dewalt 616 router with a speed of 24,500 RPM and bits that should be run at 12,000-13,000 RPM. Seeing that I'm using a pin router and I'm working on small items this creates a small problem. Namely, A 200 pound gorilla couldn't hold onto a part while feeding it into that thing. (Note, that I don't work with wood but rather with acetate so there is almost no load on the router)

So, are there suggestions on external router speed controllers?

Thank you all in advance.

Kevin

PS. if you ever find a better pin arm than the "Daisy", drop me a line. The slop in this thing is crazy.
Kevin, you might like this pin arm from Lee Valley. I don't know anything about it but I do know Lee Valley sells quality products.

Veritas® Pin Router Arm - Lee Valley Tools

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kevin, you might like this pin arm from Lee Valley. I don't know anything about it but I do know Lee Valley sells quality products.

Veritas® Pin Router Arm - Lee Valley Tools
Sadly they no longer produce the Veritas pin router arm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts