Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - Just joined - my first post. I'm finally setting up my workshop. I'll be doing mostly cabinet kind of things, I'm starting to get into some fine working. I'm planning a crib for my first grandson. I have a Bosch 4000 table saw and a Bosch 1617 router (plunge and table) on the way, along with Makita 18V driver/drill and hand tools. Now some questions:
1. I need to buy a few bits. At least in theory, I prefer to buy fewer, but better quality tools - I figure that I don't have enough money to buy the same tool twice (or more). My immediate need (I think) is for a round over, rabbet and straight edge bits. Will the rabbet serve for mortises? Is there anything else that I am likely to find very useful? Recommendations for brands Tools are VERY expensive in Israel - have a chance for someone to bring over a few things for me now from the States.
2. Suggestions for a dust exhaust system. My workshop is small, so space is a consideration. I can get a 3000W 80 liter vacuum, but have been told that it will clog very easily. Better ideas?
Thanks for your help. I've already learned a lot browsing through the forum.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Hank; welcome to the Forum! Or should I say 'Shalom'? :)

There's been a lot of discussion here re dust control. The long and the short of it is, given some space and shekels, running a minimum of 4" ducting to a cyclone type lid on a garbage can, then to your dust collector, will give you the cleanest return air with the least amount of chips/dust in the dust collector bag.
Everything else is icing on the cake.
Until you get your system up and running, please try and wear a Type 95 dust mask at the very least. Wood dust and your lungs are not compatible. :)
J. Phil Thien's Projects

Cheers
-Dan

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Hank, download the PDF manual to your PC for future reference from this site:
Whiteside Machine Company
Top quality, made in the USA and less money than other premium bits. You can order these from Woodcraft.com

The best way to keep your vacuum from clogging is to install one of these separator units between your router (or other tools) and your shop vac. The Oneida-Air Dust Deputy Deluxe can also be purchased from Woodcraft; the Clear Vue Cyclones CV06 (blue lid) you must buy direct. Both work but I prefer the CV06.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Mike; correct me if I'm wrong Hank, but importing into Israel is horrendously expensive.
Also, there's the issue of compatibility with their electrical system, perhaps?
Seems to me I'd heard that Israel was drastically reducing their tarriff barriers; is that true, Hank?
What is available, manufacturer wise?

·
Official Greeter
19,736 Posts
Hi Hank. Welcome to the forum.

A rebbating bit will not work for a mortise. You will need a straight or spiral cutting bit.

Dust collection is a necessity for a small shop. Note, I said 'DUST' collection, not chip collection.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Dan, Hank already has a vacuum. No electrical parts on the separators.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi

Yes the rebbating bit will work for a mortise but you will need to plug the slot in some places. you can use them just like a slot cutter...or can just glue in from stock,the great out doors works well for your dust collection system...the KISS way...

==

·
Official Greeter
19,736 Posts
Hi

Yes the rebbating bit will work for a mortise but you will need to plug the slot in some places. you can use them just like a slot cutter...or can just glue in from stock,the great out doors works well for your dust collection system...the KISS way...

==

Hi BJ,

I am confused. Are you talking about the mortise or the tenon.

Can you please show me how to cut a mortise with a rebbating bit?????:(

Mortise and tenon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi Hank, welcome to the forum. Amana router bits are made in Israel and are top of the line. Maybe they are cheaper over there than here. The 1/4" radius round over is the most commonly used round over bit. If you change the bearing to a smaller diameter one it will make an edge profile.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Dan, Hank already has a vacuum. No electrical parts on the separators.
Hi Mike; badly stated on my part...my apologies.
I don't think he bought the 3000w yet, but was looking for options. I brought that up because sometimes the o.p's point of origin isn't noticed...I've certainly done that myself.

Hopefully Hank picks up his mail, and lets us know what's available over there(?).

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hank, If you cannot find dust collector components locally, you can make your own from standard PVC fittings. I looked at doing this myself but Rockler had their DustRight fittings on sales and it was less expensive to buy that kit. See the photos for details on the DustRight kit design. I use mine on a 15 gal (57L) fiber drum powered by a 1HP dust collector so I'm sure your shop vac could do the same job.

Attachments

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Availability is the issue Rich. Israel does not have but a fraction of what is available in the USA.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks everybody for your help. Israel uses 220V current. US equipment can be used with a transformer. As I noted, tools here are very expensive - Bosch 1617 evspk $189 on Amazon, $700(!) here -I think/hope that this is an extremen example but you get the idea. Even adding in the cost of a 2500W transformer (about $230), still much cheaper - and I have the transformer for other tools that I may bring in. Shipping and taxes on importing is also expensive and not always available. So, the great suggestions for equipment in the States are not practical. Smaller items I can sometimes bring in as personal luggage.
I will try to go the route of making a dust/chip collector - you've given me several good directions to go with. I have not bought a shop vac yet. I was warned off the 3000W vac (by an honest salesman) - too much noise + clogging. Question: will a 1000W vac, with a hose that is probably 40mm (1.7") - be powerful enough to use with the DIY dust collectors that you have mentioned?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks everybody for your help. Israel uses 220V current. US equipment can be used with a transformer. As I noted, tools here are very expensive - Bosch 1617 evspk $189 on Amazon, $700(!) here -I think/hope that this is an extremen example but you get the idea. Even adding in the cost of a 2500W transformer (about $230), still much cheaper - and I have the transformer for other tools that I may bring in. Shipping and taxes on importing is also expensive and not always available. So, the great suggestions for equipment in the States are not practical. Smaller items I can sometimes bring in as personal luggage.
I will try to go the route of making a dust/chip collector - you've given me several good directions to go with. I have not bought a shop vac yet. I was warned off the 3000W vac (by an honest salesman) - too much noise + clogging. Question: will a 1000W vac, with a hose that is probably 40mm (1.7") - be powerful enough to use with the DIY dust collectors that you have mentioned?

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Hank; isn't the 50Hz, as opposed to the N. American 60Hz, an issue? Especially with electronic components like speed control and soft start?
With dust/chip collection the larger the ducting the better. Air volume is hugely important. Could you put a sound deadening enclosure around the 3000W one?
Not block it off obviously but maybe a fibreglass blanket inside a 1/2" plywood box with a baffle vent? Or exhaust it outside?

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
No Dan, htz is not an issue with most power tools. Dust collection depends on the vacuum type as to which diameter hose will perform the best.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
No Dan, htz is not an issue with most power tools. Dust collection depends on the vacuum type as to which diameter hose will perform the best.
I was actually referring to Hank's router(s), Mike, not the vacuum m/c on the Hz issue.
If the vacuum is being used to pull air from the dust collector, volume rather than pressure will be paramount will it not? Wouldn't the design be such as to permit the maximum airflow the vacuum can pull, resistance from pipe diameter and corrugations being limiting factors?
I've been dithering over whether to use permanently fixed 4" or 6" PVC for my 1 1/2HP DC. I keep thinking the 6" is overkill, until I hear contrary opinions.
Maybe the 4" is 'good enough' (?).

·
Registered
802 Posts
As Mike has said 50hz power is not a problem with 'Universal motor' power tools. Universal motors are those with brushes, which includes vacuum cleaners. They can actually be ran on DC power a little more efficiently.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.