Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - Just joined - my first post. I'm finally setting up my workshop. I'll be doing mostly cabinet kind of things, I'm starting to get into some fine working. I'm planning a crib for my first grandson. I have a Bosch 4000 table saw and a Bosch 1617 router (plunge and table) on the way, along with Makita 18V driver/drill and hand tools. Now some questions:
1. I need to buy a few bits. At least in theory, I prefer to buy fewer, but better quality tools - I figure that I don't have enough money to buy the same tool twice (or more). My immediate need (I think) is for a round over, rabbet and straight edge bits. Will the rabbet serve for mortises? Is there anything else that I am likely to find very useful? Recommendations for brands Tools are VERY expensive in Israel - have a chance for someone to bring over a few things for me now from the States.
2. Suggestions for a dust exhaust system. My workshop is small, so space is a consideration. I can get a 3000W 80 liter vacuum, but have been told that it will clog very easily. Better ideas?
Thanks for your help. I've already learned a lot browsing through the forum.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks everybody for your help. Israel uses 220V current. US equipment can be used with a transformer. As I noted, tools here are very expensive - Bosch 1617 evspk $189 on Amazon, $700(!) here -I think/hope that this is an extremen example but you get the idea. Even adding in the cost of a 2500W transformer (about $230), still much cheaper - and I have the transformer for other tools that I may bring in. Shipping and taxes on importing is also expensive and not always available. So, the great suggestions for equipment in the States are not practical. Smaller items I can sometimes bring in as personal luggage.
I will try to go the route of making a dust/chip collector - you've given me several good directions to go with. I have not bought a shop vac yet. I was warned off the 3000W vac (by an honest salesman) - too much noise + clogging. Question: will a 1000W vac, with a hose that is probably 40mm (1.7") - be powerful enough to use with the DIY dust collectors that you have mentioned?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks everybody for your help. Israel uses 220V current. US equipment can be used with a transformer. As I noted, tools here are very expensive - Bosch 1617 evspk $189 on Amazon, $700(!) here -I think/hope that this is an extremen example but you get the idea. Even adding in the cost of a 2500W transformer (about $230), still much cheaper - and I have the transformer for other tools that I may bring in. Shipping and taxes on importing is also expensive and not always available. So, the great suggestions for equipment in the States are not practical. Smaller items I can sometimes bring in as personal luggage.
I will try to go the route of making a dust/chip collector - you've given me several good directions to go with. I have not bought a shop vac yet. I was warned off the 3000W vac (by an honest salesman) - too much noise + clogging. Question: will a 1000W vac, with a hose that is probably 40mm (1.7") - be powerful enough to use with the DIY dust collectors that you have mentioned?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I don't really know the electronics, but have been told by several sources that the 50-60 HZ difference is not an issue. In theory, I understand the volume/velocity issue - but don't understand how to use it to make a decision on what I should do. Sounds like a powerful, quiet vac with a 4" tubing would be ideal. Now back to reality and trade-offs. Some more guidance please.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.