Router Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
666 Posts
Synapse said:
Hi, I'm trying to get my foot in woodworking, and I got a router for Christmas and I've already thought out my first big project using it, and I went out and bought myself some bits, two that are for 1/2" collets (is that the correct term for the thing that holds the bit in place?) and one that is for 1/4" collets.

My Skil comes with a 1/2" collet and a 1/4" adapter sleve, but none of my bits, not even the adapter sleve that it came with, fit. The collet tapers near the top and it tapers just a tad too much to the point that I can't get my bit in. Yes, I'm loosening the collet nut, I even took it off, but still no luck. What am I doing wrong or is this a factory defect?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm new at this! I've used a router before, but my shop teacher always changed the bit for us.
When you removed the collet nu and the collet did you insert the collet into the nut before screwing into position If not that may be your problem.
So remove both and fix them together before screwing the nut in position
Tom

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.