Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys my name is leon i live in cyprus i am a practical person but i dont know anything about routers for now!
what is the difference between 1/4 and 1/2 " bits is it the thickness of the shaft or the length?:help::help:

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Greetings Leon and welcome to the router forum. We are pleased to have you join us. It is the shaft size.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Welcome to the RouterForums Leon. Glad to have you join in our community of woodworkers. They are the BEST!
It is the thickness of the shaft.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
hi guys my name is leon i live in cyprus i am a practical person but i dont know anything about routers for now!
what is the difference between 1/4 and 1/2 " bits is it the thickness of the shaft or the length?:help::help:
Leon, Welcome to the Router Forums. As said, it is a community of very friendly woodworkers of all levels of experience and expertise, and many eagerly share.

To answer your question, I believe you must be referring to the shank diameter. In general the 1/2" shanks are stronger. The cutting edges however are the same. Most sellers give choices of shank diameter that do not differ in bit length. Some routers will take only 1/4" shank bits while any that takes 1/2" shank bits will also take 1/4" shank bits perhaps with an interchangeable collet or a collet adapter.

Hope I have helped.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys much appreciated
i will be starting my first project at the weekend so im sure i will have more questions!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts