Router Forums banner

Router bogging down

7K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Stick486 
Aside from the actual need, it's call conniving although I don't see it as "given to or involved in conspiring to do something immoral, illegal, or harmful". I actually see it as a means to get what you need/want. After having looked up the actual word and using it for years, I'm wondering why I've used it so much. What you're doing "justifies" by means of being more safe and not overtaxing a lesser tool possible causing damage and unsafe conditions. I have two main routers, the Bosch 1617EVS and the Colt, which should handle my needs with the proper bits and knowledge. Cutting away the bulk of the waste as advised is the safest and best approach before putting the router bit to cleanup the edge. But it's important to realize that size and type of bit along with motor HP is only a part of the issue. How safely you can actually remove the amount of wood including the type of wood as explained is critical to safety as well. Smaller bits are more susceptible to breakage if forced or used improperly. The quality of the bit makes a big difference as well. I snapped a 1/4" straight bit just trying to slot 1/4" hardboard by going too fast (feeding the wood faster) and trying to take the full cut in one pass. I mostly blame it on the bit itself because of its quality but technique played a role as well.

-Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.