Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fellow that has to do 50 panels like a round over profile on them. When going around the cord get's tangled and shorten up. What is your fix for this ?? Do one and untangle the cord which is a pain. Their are some outlet's that swivel do you thank this would work?? i don't belive they would swivel enough with out getting a hold and turning them?? Just trying to make it simple ?? thanks for the reply's del

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Del, the solution is in some of the new routers. Both the newest version of the 1617 and the MRC23EVSK have a round sub base plate which can be centered perfectly using the centering cone shown in the photo. This process will also perfectly center the guide bushing adaptor so if you guide off the sub base plate or a guide bushing there is no need to alter positions, just rout from where you are standing. No cord tangle this way. Something else you can do to reduce the twist up is to hang an extension cord from above your work table and plug into this. The cord will still twist but it wont try and fold back on itself like it would just running off to the side. Of course there is always the battery operated PC router, no cord period.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Mike,

I don't think that PC is made any longer though you can still get cordless router planes.. <g>

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
If you can hang the power cord overhead leave just enough slack to comfortably reach around the piece.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,846 Posts
Hi del

" hang an extension cord " up over the work bench like Mike said, just one more plug for the Craftsman Pro. router the power cord can be pulled right out of the router motor so if it gets twisted it's easy to pull the cord after a pass or two and put it right back in one more time, 1/4 turn thing on the power cord.

the kiss way..

http://www.routerforums.com/attachments/tools-woodworking/43995d1305741618-nail-guns-100_2117.jpg

=======
Yep, that's what I do, an extension cord around a garden hook from the roof.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Of course there is always the battery operated PC router, no cord period.
Yes, but not a whole lot of battery life either from what I was told. A colleague of mine used to carry one for installing doors (using a #513 lock mortiser). He reckoned on having 4 or 5 batteries charged up with him at start of day and flattening the lot

Regards

Phil

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi

I love the one I have,works great..I wish I could get one more.. :)
But I use the new type of battery and it will last a very long time.

===

Yes, but not a whole lot of battery life either from what I was told. A colleague of mine used to carry one for installing doors (using a #513 lock mortiser). He reckoned on having 4 or 5 batteries charged up with him at start of day and flattening the lot

Regards

Phil

·
Registered
989 Posts
The trouble occurs because they will use pvc covered cables, I have had the same trouble in the past and have therefore changed the cords on all my tools to RUBBER and very long too, no more tangles and plenty of room for movement.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Hi del

" hang an extension cord " up over the work bench like Mike said, just one more plug for the Craftsman Pro. router the power cord can be pulled right out of the router motor so if it gets twisted it's easy to pull the cord after a pass or two and put it right back in one more time, 1/4 turn thing on the power cord.

the kiss way..

http://www.routerforums.com/attachments/tools-woodworking/43995d1305741618-nail-guns-100_2117.jpg

=======
Right Bob Craftsman and DeWalt copied the feature from Milwaukee

1 - 10 of 10 Posts