Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I realize the Porter cable 5008 router jig is ancient by today's jig standards but I got it to work fairly well. I was wondering for those that use a jig(doesn't necessarily have to be this one) if the sockets are a bit too tight is the correction to move the bit so it projects further or less? Thanks Pat

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Hey, Pat; I'm the wrong guy to answer your question, but I'm not clear on what you were actually referring to(?).
Are you talking about template guides?
Can you take a picture and post it? You've got 10 posts already so even a pic off the 'net will work.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the jig I'm referring to it is critical to have the bit protrude the exact amount to make the two piece mate properly. My question is if the fit is too tight should the bit be pulled into the router further or brought out more to loosen the fit.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Pat...if the joint is too tight, the bit is too deep.

Think of it as raising the bit will leave more of the broader part of the bit to cut into the wood.

Take a peek at this...has lots of good info...other troubleshooting info also...shallow, proud, etc...

Half-Blind Dovetails - Issue No. 270

·
Official Greeter
18,753 Posts
Hi Pat,

IMHO, with those jigs, you HAVE to use the correct cutter and guide bush (some use a bearing guided cutter).

Most seem to use 7/16" rather than 1/2"....

And, as Nick said, depth of cut is critical.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys, thank you very much, got the free jig to work great. Now if I could get my OMNI jig from PC to get good results I'll be really happy. Might take way more work to get it right. The bushing was a 7/16" and a 1/2" x1/4" shaft but also have make sure its not too tall for the setup. My first bit w/a longer cutter would not let me retract it far enough to meet the roughly 9/16 for my setup. After 3 rounds of tests managed to cut very nice joints.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
I have a 5008 Pat, it looks good hanging in the corner collecting dust. :)

No reflection on the jig; I just don't do dovetails.

Reactions: Belg
1 - 9 of 9 Posts