Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid me!
I have a Hitachi router and needed a router table. I picked up an old but still new in the box router table (Craftsman) from the local Classifieds.

I incorrectly assumed that router mounting holes were fairly standard. Apparently, they are not.

So I wonder if there is such a thing as an adapter? Maybe I should just buy a router that fits or sell the table and get/build one that fits my router.

Any suggestions where to look for some type of adapter? Haven't found anything so far, maybe I should just give up on that idea.

·
Official Greeter
19,282 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Bob.

Does the table have a removable insert plate? It may be easy to make one to match your router?

What router do you have?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome!
I have a Hitachi 2.25 HP Fixed Base Router M 12VC 1/2 inch
Sadly, the table does not have a removable insert plate.
I think I read something in the router table manual about adapters for different routers. I have to do a little more looking around but so far it feels like either find an old Craftsman router that will fit the table or get rid of the table and get or build one that will fit my router.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
All you have to do is drill holes in your plate to match the base of the router. You will most likely have to remove the base plate on the router. Reuse the screws if long enough and use it to mark where the holes need to be drilled in the plate. Store the router base in case you need it in the future.

·
Super Moderator
317 Posts
pay attention to the length of the screws that you use for mounting.
when altering or changing the mounting configuration of heavy machines that literally "hang on by a thread", those threads must be long enough to support the machine indefinitely while under extreme vibration. there are horror stories of routers dropping out of their holders while spinning a large bit at 25,000 RPMs - not a safe place to be.
I drilled the holes bigger all the way through the frame and tapped new threads and installed larger and longer screws to hold my router in the table mount as well as when using thick base plates.
longer screws are also needed if you ever use a thick shop-made router base plate that is 1/4 - 3/8" thick plexiglass.
so it is a good idea to go ahead and do this now - before you go any further.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Craftsman router table I have is made of melamine board. Under the table is a circular slot the router fits in. Does your router base fit the slot? (if not router the slot larger). If it fits in, take your router base and line it up with the router bit hole opening and drill in holes to match your base. As "John Smith" says, use long enough bolts or taper headed bolts. The cast iron router extension wing on my table saw has a removable plate, which made it easy for me to drill holes into it, for my router.

·
Registered
Carpenter & Joiner
7 Posts
Stupid me!
I have a Hitachi router and needed a router table. I picked up an old but still new in the box router table (Craftsman) from the local Classifieds.

I incorrectly assumed that router mounting holes were fairly standard. Apparently, they are not.

So I wonder if there is such a thing as an adapter? Maybe I should just buy a router that fits or sell the table and get/build one that fits my router.

Any suggestions where to look for some type of adapter? Haven't found anything so far, maybe I should just give up on that idea.
Just drill ne holes, set them out carefully and use your base plate as a guide.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stupid me!

Drill new holes to align with your router. My mount has holes for three routers and I drilled them all.......

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would, after you have drilled your holes insert a piece of rubber that matches your router base plate in between base plate and table to avoid metal resonance - if the base plate on table is made of metal. I have an old but very functional Wolfcraft router table ( that one with non-removable plate). I did so and working became much more agreable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts