Router Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an old Bench dog router fence with a broken part. The T top broke away from the bolt. I called Bench dog but the fence is too old and Rockler does not have parts for my fence.
I tried looking online for the part pictured but I am not sure what to call it. I guess I need a T bolt which is 5/16 four and half inches long on the threaded side. I have included a picture. Does anybody know where to buy one of these? This is the good one. There is one on each side.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Lee, I don't know offhand where to source something like this, but it would be pretty easy to make a suitable replacement if all else fails. Fabricate a T-handle similar to the good one, or even a round knob if you like. Drill a hold in the center, counter bore to allow for the head of a bolt the correct length, and epoxy the two pieces together.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Lee this would be so easy to make. I don't know what the threads are but a length of all thread might work. You could make a knob and attach to the rod with epoxy. There is a lot of videos on Youtube showing how to make knobs out of wood.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
When I made my copy of Mike's (@MT Stringer) adjustable bench, I set brass threaded inserts in the lower bench legs and needed long studs to go through the plywood upper legs and into the inserts. I made the clamp bolts out of pieces of all-thread and female star knobs, using Red Loctite on the threads when assembling. I think you'd have to destroy the knobs to get the all-thread out of there. Also shown is the little fixture for cutting the all-thread to length - a length of scrap wood with a kerf cut on the bandsaw and a through hole for the threaded rod. The nuts are used to locate the rod so it's cut to the required length, and removing the nuts takes care of any protruding burrs so that the ends can be easily cleaned up.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,995 Posts
I take it that the small round object is the part that has come off, and that fits into the slot. Correct? I've done a search for T Slot bolts and have found a large number of bolts, but none quite as long as you require, and many that might fit with a little filing down. If I'm seeing this right, the knob moves down the threads to tighten things up. So in a pinch, you might be able to find a workable bold and file the head down to the correct thickness.

What about having the head spot welded in place?

Home Depot and Lowes have a few drawers of specialty bolts that you might check. If you don't mind grinding the head down, you might just find something that will work. Seems like length is the real issue.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My part is basically a 5/16 bolt with a molded nylon T knob on it. It does not move up and down but screws into the fence to lock it down. I cannot seem to find one like this which has 4 1/2 inches of thread. The ones I find on the net are shorter than 4 1/2 inches.

A knob and all thread may work with red locktite.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
ace hardware, rocklers, hobby lobby, Micheal's and woodcraft has them...
and I think Lowes...

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Looking at the BenchDog manual for the AF400 ProFence shown in your photo, the parts list shows (2) Clamp Handles with 5/16" - 18 x 4-1/2" studs. The manual shows this clamp handle installed through the spacer & fence and threaded into the bottom pivot bar of the cantilever clamp. I'd say that a female threaded knob with the appropriate length of threaded rod installed would be an OK replacement for the broken part. LV p/n 00M72.01 would be the part that you're looking for but there are other vendors that sell this (or similar) - I bought mine from McMaster-Carr but Lowes shows knobs on their web site Shop The Hillman Group Replacement Knobs at Lowes.com You may need to check your local store for availability.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Is this what you are looking for?

My part is basically a 5/16 bolt with a molded nylon T knob on it. It does not move up and down but screws into the fence to lock it down. I cannot seem to find one like this which has 4 1/2 inches of thread. The ones I find on the net are shorter than 4 1/2 inches.

A knob and all thread may work with red locktite.
Is this what you are looking for?
https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=8987
Just make a wooden knob and glue it on.

Google search "5/16 bolt 4 1/2 inches"
:nerd:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts