Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new member and have been creating some projects with my router. One question that I have is does no one make dovetailed router fences similar to the box joint fences. Dovetail bits are usually 1/2" wide with a 14 degree angle. A fence with these dimensions would be extremely usefull to route pieces of wood that you wish to join together with a dovetail rather than a box joint. One project that it would be useful on would be the coffee mug trees without making a special jig.
Bob

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Bob

The 3/8" box joint jig can be used to make a dovetail joints,because the bottom part of the dovetail is 3/8" wide the norm on a 1/2" 14deg. dovetail bit.

see link below
http://www.routerworkshop.com/boxjoints.html

see the last two pictures on the same web page.

Please note this jig is not used for making dovetails on corners.

Bj :)

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Bob, the fence is used to guide your wood on the table. What you are describing is refered to as a jig, and a jig may replace a fence or use a fence as a guide. There are many dovetail jigs and the bits come in many sizes as well as in differing angles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.