Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a table top from (CMT) for 99.00. My shop is in the garage and I live in mich.The top they have I know it will last and not sag like the one I made a few years ago. I added it up and the cost to make one came out close to buying this one, and this one is a phenolic top,it wont sag with the dampness I get the shop at times. So now I need advice on a new router. I want to be able to change bits above the table,and if I can adjust the height from above the table. 2 hp is all I need and it will stay on the table. So I dont need a plunge router. Any opinnons on what to get would sure help.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Hi Jack,
I see you purchased the CMT closeout - I was looking at that myself but couldn't get any info from Sommerfeld on it - can you tell me the overall size, the plate size, the plate opening diameter and what rings came with it? Just curious now - I'm pretty well commited to making my own now since they wouldn't give me the specs before purchasing. You're right - at that price it would be hard to make one for less.
Thanks,
Gil

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gilbear said:
Hi Jack,
I see you purchased the CMT closeout - I was looking at that myself but couldn't get any info from Sommerfeld on it - can you tell me the overall size, the plate size, the plate opening diameter and what rings came with it? Just curious now - I'm pretty well commited to making my own now since they wouldn't give me the specs before purchasing. You're right - at that price it would be hard to make one for less.
Thanks,
Gil
I was looking at this too. Does anybody have the dimensions?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The above link takes you to the purchase location - the info in the on-line catalog is for the NEW version table top - when I tried to ask them about the differences, size, insert plate size, etc, they told me to buy their video - I'm sure they're good folks and all, but it doesn't make sense to expect you to pay for info on a purchase for a product you can't examine - I've harped on this enough I suppose ... gotta get over it. It may be the same specs as the new version, but I don't really know. And if so, why did they make a new version?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Router suggestion

The Freud FT1700VCEK has all the features you want.

Above table one wrench bit change
Above table height adjust - no lift needed!
Price about $180

I have checked out the FT1700VCEK at Lowes
It is very well engineered, much better design than the PC 893PK for under table use.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Gilbear and Pete

If you still want the dimensions
Please just ask and I will post them .. :)

Pete ,,,"I was looking at this too. Does anybody have the dimensions?"

Bj :)

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Jack, if you are in the Detroit metro area send me a private message and I will give you the prices of the local merchants for all the different brands. I am on vacation but will be home before the weekend.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Jack52

I just did the same thing and I put in a Freud 3 1/4 HP I got from Amazon for 119.oo bucks and it was just the right one for this top.
It's plunge router but the springs come in a snap,plus it has all the things you and I want .
The only thing I forgot to order was a 22mm offset wrench so I just took a old one I had in the tool box and bent it to what I needed, little black paint and it looks like it was made for it.

I also mounted the P.C. to the top just in case I wanted to use it in the the new top also.

It's a great router table top I have added many of the Oak-Park fixtures to it and it just right for all of them.

If you need any tips on how to mount your router just ask, :) and I sure you will need a tip or two ,then maybe not but it must be on dead center with the Alum. ring.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...8475900?_encoding=UTF8&s=hi&v=glance&n=228013

Bj :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.