Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to introduce myself and ask my first question.

I found this site through a link from Woodnet. I am an enthusiastic do-it-yourselfer from CT and have had the woodworking bug for about 5 years and have a "bad" habit of collecting tools (with the blessing of the better half of course).

For my first question, I received a Bench Dog Router Table for X-Mas and need (or should I say want) to purchase a dedicated router. I have read numerous posts in various forums and searched the web. I currently have a Porter Cable 890 and it seems well suited for the table. The favorite choices seem to be the 3 1/2 HP Milwaukee 5625 and Porter Cable 7518. I have also looked into another Porter Cable 890 and have read some promising reviews of the Triton routers. Are the big routers necessary or will the 2 1/4 HP models suit my needs. I will be doing general routing and may make an occasional raised panel. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,960 Posts
Big Dog,

I've got an 890, and it does pretty much everything I need. I do not make large runs of raised panel doors, so I don't mind making multiple passes when using large bits.

For everything else, it's a great router. It is also well behaved when it is out of the router table as well, it's not too big to handle comfortably for long periods as a hand held router.

That being said, if you want a big, beefy, quality and reasonably inexpensive router to leave in your table, the OLD hitachi M12v is hard to beat at around $160 reconditioned.

they usuallly show up on ebay every couple of weeks, sometimes on Amazon.com as well. http://stores.ebay.com/Diamond-Drilling-and-Supply

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
When it comes to the 3+ HP routers Bosch is top rated in most comparison testing.(The same holds true in the 2+ HP range) This does not mean that you should choose Bosch. Each router has slightly different controls and a very different feel in your hands. Keep in mind that you are the one who will be using it. Get your hands on each of the brands and check them out before making your decision. Trade off's on features for a much better price might be one reason to go with brand X as opposed to brand Z. If you use vertical panel raising bits instead of horizontal you will need less power. Your PC 890 series should be up to the task. Keep in mind that we suggest you make multiple passes anytime you are removing a large amount of wood. All that having been said I like my PC 7518 for heavy jobs but love my Bosch 1617's for everything else. I have a PC 690 combo, an origonal Rockwell (same as the PC 100) and an older Bosch. I have also owned different Craftsman routers and used several other brands. Each is unique and has a feel all their own.

·
Banned
666 Posts
Big Dog
The only router that I know that was designed for the router table was the Triton. Easy locking for changing cutters. When it was first released it was not really suitable for hand held routing because there was no facility to attach template guides and it was difficult to attach a Ski Mode.
There are lots of things to take into consideration if it has to be used in both Router Table Mode and Plunge mode.
Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.