Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found something in a wood working magazine at the VA waiting room.
It is a Universal Dust Free Router Hood.
It shows that it fits Plunge Fixed or Trim routers.
I went to their site Routerhood.com and they run about 40 dollars. It has a clear plastic shield with an
attachment for your shop vac.
Has anyone seen these?
I might just order me one. I really don't do a lot of free hand routing anymore. Most is on my table, but,
this looks like it could be a handy tool when needed.

Hey Stick ! It says it is Made in The USA

David

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I found something in a wood working magazine at the VA waiting room.
It is a Universal Dust Free Router Hood.
It shows that it fits Plunge Fixed or Trim routers.
I went to their site Routerhood.com and they run about 40 dollars. It has a clear plastic shield with an
attachment for your shop vac.
Has anyone seen these?
I might just order me one. I really don't do a lot of free hand routing anymore. Most is on my table, but,
this looks like it could be a handy tool when needed.

Hey Stick ! It says it is Made in The USA

David
Thanks David. This is just what I need and I am ordering one but only after looking into it a little more.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Festool have clip-on chip deflectors available as an accessory for all three of their routers. I have a couple of Fessys +(OF1000 and OF2200e) and I can testify that in conjunction with the above base extraction connections this sort of deflector works really well, especially on tasks such as rebating miles (well, about 800 feet) of green 18mm (3/4in) MDF - a task I recently did. Even without the extractor on the deflector slows down the dust particles and most just drop to the floor as opposed to creating a green fog around you as you work. BTW a disposable coffee cup sliced in two and fixed to the bottom of the router with some gaffer tape works almost as well

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
The Oneida dust hood you are discussing would be a great item for off brand routers that do not offer other dust collection options.

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
6,938 Posts
Looks makeable.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Many moons ago, I had several thousand feet worth of rubber t-molding to install on laminated particle board counter tops. Circumstance dictated that making a mess was not an option. At the time, Rockler carried a thing called the whirlwind dust port. Dust collection was below the base rather than above like the Oneida. IIRC used a 1/8" slot cutter w/bearing, 1/2" deep in a 2hp Craftsman FB router. The debris from those counters was more like sand than sawdust. Using a large shop vac., the whirlwind collected what I'd say was 95% of the waste. Personally I thought the thing worked exceptionally well. I know it saved me a ton of cleanup time. The only thing I didn't like was the the vac hose port. The vac hose tended to get in the way as I worked my way round the counter tops. Once I adjusted for this minor annoyance, the thing worked great.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
I do not have this item Jim but I am sure it would do a good job. Oneida has been in business a long time and has a good rep.

I use the factory dust collection adapters on the routers I have or a Betterley STACC-Vac.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts